London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Office block by Stephen & Partners, 1965, four storeys on
stilts, faced. White unbonded tiles.
The Telephone Exchange.dates from 1956, with a bulky extension of
precast panels by Hubbard & Ford, 1968 onwards.
enjoyable now that trees, tubs, and pavements have been replaced. The
landscaping here and in The Parade is by A. G.Fidler Associates. The centre and
the market was redeveloped by the local council in 1971 with new market, shops,
car park, etc. architects Ley, Coif & Partners
Boots with the typical exposed concrete of the 1960s Huckle
& Partners, 1966-8,
Clements, local department store, with a huge extension at the
back in plain red brick with a tower, a stark but effective composition by
Yorke, Rosenberg & Mardall, 1963-4.
Shri Guru Singh Sabha Ghudwara. Sikh community Centre. This was the Watford County Court
House built around 1858 with a red brick façade. The courtroom is in the in the
centre of the building and the judge's chamber and court clerk's room are at
The market is first noted in the reign of Henry II.
Church of the Holy Road
anticlimax, although it is attractively landscaped with a central pool and
trees placed asymmetrically.It is no
longer the triumphal way to the Town Hall, as it ludicrously has to be reached
Monmouth House, 1630s, largely reconstructed in 1920s. The exterior
now has four gables, some interior features preserved in their original state.
timber-framed, incorporates the remains of a C16 hall, with queen-strut
is the largest town in Hertfordshire. In 100 years its population has grown from 5,000 to more than
70,000, so that today it
is an important road and rail centre, with a variety of industries, notably printing. For a long time
the abbots ofSt. Albans were Lords of the Manor and after
many changesof ownership the property passed finally to the
Capel family,Earls of Essex.. A mile long is built on sloping ground and
still resembles that of a country town, especially on Tuesdays when it is very
busy with its cattle-market. The fifteenth-century market-place and also the
best shops are at the northern end of the High Street. A pleasant little park
and promenade runs alongside the south bank of the River Come. Watford is also
a manufacturing centre and its industries include brewing, milling, printing
works, and silk factories.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by