London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
two white reinforced-concrete buildings from the de Havillandfactory.
Former Hatfield Aerodrome for de Havilland. British Aerospace Hatfield closed in 1993. Hatfield
Aerodrome now being re- developed.Originally the deHavilland
flying club and in 1928 the construction of the Barnet by pass brought it close
to the main road system.Moved here from
Edgeware. It was here the Comet was developed and the DH110.Closed in 1992.
'Comet' Flight Test Hangar.Innovative
structure built 1952-54 to test and maintain the world's first jet airliner.
Made from a new strainhardened aluminium alloy, HE, which is less prone to oxidation. It has
portal-framed trusses with pin joints on welded steel bases and marked an
increased sophistication over earlier aluminium structures. At 100 metres long,
14 metres high and witha clear span of
61 metres, it was world's largest permanent aluminium structure. Integral
office block, fire station and airport control tower. The fivestorey Tower
added in 1954. By SMD Engineers Ltd and James M. Monro & Son. The building,
listed grade II*, is converted into a keep-fit centre.
De Havilland Offices. Former de Havilland administration and design block, by
Geoffrey Monro, 1934, now the Art and Design Department of the University of
Hertfordshire. Listed grade II.
Comet Hotel opened 1936 for use by the London Flying Club
and de Havillands. Outside, on a pole is a red painted model of famous,
pre-war, recordbreaking, twin-engined Comet aeroplane, serving as an inn sign. Architect E. B.
Musman (1888-1972)for Benskin Brewery
Company of Watford.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by