London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
St.Joseph RC Church
Harrow Road East
Waterworks.In 1869 the Dorking Water Company was Incorporated; they built a 300ft
deep well and steam-driven pumphouse. The waterworks building was sold in 1919
and converted to private dwellings
Harrow Lodge.William Robinson
picture of a banana tree there
A large number of bollards and rails exist
around Dorking. Many were installed by the Dorking District Local Board
(embossed DDLB) with later ones by Dorking Urban District Council (embossed
DUDC) which was formed in 1895 to administer the same area. Of the 200 plus
bollards some have various embossings, for example, a lady's leg and thigh, a
key, a founder's name. Some were designed as lamp columns or fire hydrants.
With renovation to the paving around the town the use of cast-iron bollards is
continuing. Some of the new pieces are embossed 'Dorothea'.
122 town garden, interesting and
unusual plants and many artefacts including unique works of art, mixed borders,
many alpines in raised beds, tuba and sinks, mini-meadow and peat bed, fern
alley, lawn with Cretan labyrinth, fruit and vegetables, exotic front garden;
well stocked sub-tropical conservatory.
Sewer vent pipes, sometimes known as
'Wimbledon Columns'. As well as their primary purpose the columns also
supported gas street lamps. Although the lighting fittings have disappeared.
Sand caves, folly, wine cellars
County Hospital. Was the Workhouse. 1841 unusual in that it is humane
Reservoir In 1869 the Dorking Water Company
was Incorporated; they built a reservoir
at Tower Hill which still feeds the Dorking area.
Tower Hill Cottage built round a folly tower 1828 Folly Tower at
TQ 1648 5/207
Circa 1830. Tower of 3 storeys built over ground floor of house at its
western end. Sandstone with brick quoins, stringcourses, window dressings
and battlements. One window bay; window spaces with pointed arches; modern
flat arched casement windows. Tower situated over entrance to house; one
storey and attic with basement and with gable at eastern end of house; one
window in eastern part. Stuccoed front.
Upper Rose Hill
6 ½ acre informal plainsman’s terraced garden
on dry sand. Surprising secluded setting with striking outlook onto St.Paul’s
Church.Planted for year round interest
of foliage and form, fruit and vegetables, gravel bed and alpine troughs,
borders and rockeries. Autumn colour, grasses, attractive into October. Many
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by