London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Tileworks.These were situated north of the railway and
were served by the siding, which was also connected to the sandpits.The sidings and works were extended during World
War II when they were used as a munition store.Later the remaining buildings were used for storing theatrical scenery
and now they are used for agricultural purposes.
SandpitsHere the Folkestone Beds of the LowerGreensand spread over a wide area and the
grain size and chemical composition of the sand make it particularly
suitable for glass manufacture.The
operation at Buckland, which used to be one of the largest employers in the
village, wasstarted in 1925 by the
grandfather of the present owner; however since 1978 the operation has been
leased to ARC Southern. An earlier
extraction operation took place at Colley Pit which is now restored as a lake
and used for trout fishing. Once the operations at the other pits are completed
these will also be restored as lakes.
This siding was on the
north of the line to serve the tile works in Clifton’s Lane as well as the 2'
0" gauge line to the Buckland sand pits which went under the main line
through a brick arch which still exists. The brick and tile
works received sand from the Buckland Sand and Silica Company
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n