Buckland

 

Buckland

Pylons. The scheme for the transmission system for South Eastern England was outlined in the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1926. This entailed the provision of bulk supplies at 33kV to Epsom, Dorking, Reigate and Leatherhead from Croydon Power Station. By 1930 an arrangement was in place to supply the JEA from Croydon Corporation to Epsom, and by the end of the year the JEA took supplies at Leatherhead, By 1931 much of the secondary 33kV transmission system of the Central Electricity Board in South Eastern England had been completed including the 33kV ring from Epsom via Leatherhead, Dorking and Reigate back to Epsom. Most of this original installation in Mole Valley still exists comprising steel-cored aluminium conductors supported on lattice steel towers.

Sub Station. Later modifications have been made to the original CEB 33kV system in the area to include sub-stations

Pebblehill Road

Cox's Plant Hire  Building of George Cummins and Son, a major local builder with headquarters on Pebblehill Road. Cummins built a lot of houses and other buildings.

Station Road

Betchworth Station. This was called 'Betchworth and Box Hill' when first opened and gained its present name when the new station down the line opened two years later.  The buildings on the down side are the original 1849 structures in the steeply gabled style found elsewhere on this line.  There were at one time two signal boxes but both closed in 1934 when signal and level crossing operation was transferred to the booking office.  This arrangement continued until 1983 when CCTV operation of the crossing was installed, controlled from Reigate; automatic barriers had replaced the traditional gates in 1977.  The station buildings remain but are no longer used for railway purposes, passengers now being provided with bus-stop type shelters.  There was a siding and coal yard south of the station whilst on the north side there were sidings serving the adjacent lime works, which had its own extensive rail network with three different gauges.  The ground frame at the end of the down platform which controlled access to the siding is still in place as is the head shunt on the up side.  SER. cottage style red brick buildings and yellow bricks and tiled roof. Lever probably for level crossing in the old booking office

The Beeches.  The house in the station forecourt was originally Beeches Inn, built as a station hotel, but it became a private residence in the early 20th century

Buffer Depot 339 During World War II a number of 'buffer depots' were built throughout the country to hold strategic stocks of food and other supplies. During the Cold War period the depots were operated by private contractors for the government and contained food, cooking equipment, utensils, tents, tarpaulins etc. in case of a nuclear attack. This depot was operated by Butler's Wharf Ltd on behalf of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF). It appeared to be unused in 1995, but an application has been made for it to be demolished and houses built on the site.

Rectory Green Lane

Level Crossing A number of crossings existed on this stretch of line.  Manned gate at Buckland. All the gated crossings had cottages for the crossing keepers but only the Buckland one remains, and this is no longer used by the railway. When control of the gates was established from Reigate in 1983, automatic half barriers were installed at here.

Pebblecombe Road.

Cawley’s hearthstone mine. Claude Cawley from a background with the fullers’ earth companies.  Detail

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone