North Mymms

 


St.Mary, 13th century church with gargoyles etc. C.of E. mostly built between 1330 and 1450  The earliest part is the 13th century chancel, whilst the nave and the aisles were all rebuilt as early as c.1340 when a central tower was planned but never completed: the present embattled west tower, which was restored in 1969 with new gargoyles replacing the originals, was built in the 15th century.  There is reference in one to 'a field called Wants lying near to Muffets'. This refers to a farm once owned by Mr. Thomas Muffet, whose daughter is thought to have been the original Little Miss Muffet.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone