Southborough

 This post is not finished, it has not been edited or checked

Post to the west Norman Park


Blackbrook Lane

Blackbrook is an old name first noted in 1278 and then in 1327, It means “dark-coloured stream”, from Old English..

Bromley Common

Holy Trinity.  Flint, especially black on the tower 1842. Designed by Thomas Hopper Windows with sandstone surrounds and wooden tracery. In 1884 C. Pemberton Leach replaced much of the tracery with designs in Bath stone, changing from a local to a non-local stone.

Churchyard. War memorial in Portland stone and with a cross in the centre of the churchyard, an unusual design. Two weathered stone wings support the shaft and carry the names of the fallen from both world wars. The graveyard also contains several War Graves Commission headstones Monument to George Norman 1855. Signed T. Gaffin. Mourning soldier either side of a gravestone

School. next to the church 1847

Corner Crown Lane/ Turpingtons Lane and Southborough Lane

old farm. stories of prison and executions very probably called after farmer Tubbenham from 1355

Turpingtons 14th timber hall house pre-Wealden type. Farm still there in 1929; an unexpected survival from much earlier - the later c14- and a rarity in being a timber-framed hall-house of the pre-Wealden type with the two-storey jettied ends separately roofed at right angles.

Magpie Hall Lane

St. Luke’s Cemetery. David Greig of the grocery chain with a huge bronze of the Angel of Death.

Magpie’s Nest Pub

Southborough Lane

Chequers

Crooked Billet 1929.Now a Harvester.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town