Elmers End

 This post has not been finished, it is not edited or checked

Thames Tributary

The Chaffinch flows north east towards the Pool and the Ravensbourne.  It join the Beck/Pool coming from the west,

Balmoral Avenue

Co-op Playing Fields\

Beckenham Rugby Club

Eden Park Polo Club was at the back of Elmer Lodge on the site of the football ground

Croydon Road

Elmer Grange was built as Lymore for a Welsh tailor in 1850.  It was later renamed around 1918 with new owners.  It was wrongly believed to have been built round a medieval priory.  Survived into the 1970s as flats

46 Maunsell House on the site of the Odeon cinema 1939-1957.  Originally in 1936 this was the site of a cottage and it was intended to build a Savoy Cinema. It was taken over by Oscar Deutsch for an Odeon which opened in 1939. It was designed by Keith Roberts of Andrew Mather. It had a tower, a curved entrance and a parade of shops with flats above.  There was seating for 1.500 with internal grilles, and decoration of the signs of the Zodiac. It was closed only 17 years later by the Rank Organisation and it was demolished.

Odeon Parade of shops and flats were retained.

116 William IV, mock Tudor building but thought to have existed during the 18th.  Known as the 'Willie' to the locals

Farm steeple chasing course which went from opposite Elmer Lodge to Sidney cottages in Beckenham Road.

Beckenham School of Art annexe.  Now in other use.

Azelia Hall. built in 1953 by Alfred Parker, a former resident of Beckenham, in memory of his wife ‘Azelia’, and endowed as a Charity for the benefit of the residents of the former borough of Beckenham.

Dunbar Avenue

Elmer Lodge pub.  Thus was the principal house in Elmers End, originally built c. 1710.  It was also known as Gwydir House and Eden Lodge. In 1839 the house was damaged by fire and soon after 1856 the house and lodge were demolished, and rebuilt by John Goddard. In 1878 it was called Elm Lodge. In the early 20th it became a boys' school called Craven College. It then became the Manor House Club, but has since been re-named Elmer Lodge.

Elmers End

It was once called Elm End Green and partly owned by the Elmer, or Aylmer family – and thus recorded as ‘Aylmersende’ in 1494.

Goddard Road

Council housing of the interwar period

Congregational Free Church built in 1931, incorporating the Mission Hall in Langley Road.

Shirley Crescent

Council housing of the interwar period

V2 at rear on allotments. Marion Vian School badly damaged. 8 injured. Midnight 10 March 1945

St.James Avenue

St.James Church. Church, of 1879-88 by A. R. Sunning but this is hidden by a newer building by G. Sworder Powell. Inside is a painting of the Resurrection by A. K.Lawrence, 1955. The church was built as a Chapel of Ease and became a separate parish in 1924 and enlarged and dedicated in 1936.

St James's School.  In 1879 land was given for a church and school to be paid for by public subscription.  The school was opened a year later.  It was behind the church. But the school could not accommodate all the local children and in 1930 the children were transferred to a new school in Adams Road.  St James's school was closed. The buildings continued in use as church premises

Fields with a stream running through them and with a line of elm trees cut down for the church extensions.


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow