Epsom

   This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited


Christ Church Road

Christ Church. 1876 Blomfield. Recent stained glass.

Coal Post. In order to help cover the costs of rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1666 the Corporation of London was allowed to levy a charge on all coal entering London. Subsequently there were a number of acts defining the boundaries of the area for which duty was charged until finally in 1861 the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Act redefined the London District as the Metropolitan Police District, Posts were set up to mark the boundary in accordance with this Act of Parliament of the 24th and 25th years of Queen Victoria's reign, chapter 42 of the Statute Book. The cast-iron posts bear the Corporation of London crest and the inscription 24 25 VIC CAP 42 and were originally placed wherever a road or track crossed the boundary. Different types of marker posts were often employed beside railways, canals and rivers. The iron posts were cast by Henry Gnssell at the Regents Canal Ironworks, Eagle Wharf, Hoxton; they are 6ft high of which 3-4ft is above ground. The duties continued to raise money for engineering projects in London until the formation of the London County Council and the passing of the London Coal Duties Abolition Act in 1889

Glanmire Farm Entrance. Coal Post. In order to help cover the costs of rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1666 the Corporation of London was allowed to levy a charge on all coal entering London. Subsequently there were a number of acts defining the boundaries of the area for which duty was charged until finally in 1861 the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Act redefined the London District as the Metropolitan Police District, Posts were set up to mark the boundary in accordance with this Act of Parliament of the 24th and 25th years of Queen Victoria's reign, chapter 42 of the Statute Book. The cast-iron posts bear the Corporation of London crest and the inscription 24 25 VIC CAP 42 and were originally placed wherever a road or track crossed the boundary. Different types of marker posts were often employed beside railways, canals and rivers. The iron posts were cast by Henry Gnssell at the Regents Canal Ironworks, Eagle Wharf, Hoxton; they are 6ft high of which 3-4ft is above ground. The duties continued to raise money for engineering projects in London until the formation of the London County Council and the passing of the London Coal Duties Abolition Act in 1889

St.Ebba's Hospital

Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council  Built as a mental hospital 1903


Hook Road

Horton farm

St.Ebba’s 

built 1904 as Ewell Epileptic Colony, St Ebba's Hospital. Built during 1901-2 with 366 places, originally known as Ewell Epileptic Colony. The brick water tower is LS II.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow