London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edite
Cottage hospital opened 1889 and was a voluntary hospital until 1889.In 1988 it became a group practice and the
hospital moved.Since 1994 a day care
Chalk Pit Now a private garden.
18 late 17th with Victorian
Porch. From 1755 until recently used as the Vicarage.
20 early 19th
24 early 18th
4 Capitol Cinema/Granada.In an art deco style, the theatre
first opened for business in 1929 as The Capitol, showing sound films to an
audience of 1,500. It was also used for
stage performances, including popular variety and radio entertainers on Sunday
nights. There was a cafe and restaurant. In 1947 it became The Granada. The
early sound system was replaced, and was eventually closed in September 1960.
It was demolished and rebuilt, and became a carpet store.
Bromley Hurst, large house where
the council met in the early 20th
Charity school built here in 1693
and in 1811 became a National School.
Ebbisham House. Built 1722 by William
Woodford.Wings added early 20th
Epsom Technical Institute. Next
door to the public hall.Terracotta
building paid for by public subscription.Taken over by Surrey County Council. In 1921 it became the Epsom County
School for Boys.
Fire Station. 1937 nice modern
Epsom Council Electricity Offices and Showroom in other use.Designed in the art deco style by Williams,
Pettet & Gardner of Epsom and built by Sloggetts of Hampton Hill, the building was opened on 10 July 1937
by Mrs. J Underhill, wife of the Chairman of the Council who was a member of
the Electricity Committee. The building catered for offices, and provided
display and demonstration areas for the Undertaking's wares and services.
High School for Young Ladies.1897.
Horse troughs were once located at the junction of High Street, Church
Street and East Street, but have now gone. Horse troughs were supplied by such as the Metropolitan Drinking
Fountain and Cattletrough Association, they pro- vided accessible sources of
fresh drinking water for horses, cattle, smaller animals and humans.
Pacden's Brewery Site. Robert and Frederic Pagden had their brewery,
premisesStone House and St Martins
church, possibly occupied from the early 19th century. The brewery was mostly demolished in 1922, but part of the
building remains as Church House. The firm had other premises at 93 High
Street, which may have beer a retail outlet or offices.
a farmhouse on the edge of a chalk pit became a mansion in 1770. A 17th/18th
century house to the south of St. Martin's church was the home of Mr. Belchier
who entertained Wesley in August 1759.
Traces of the chalk-pit from which he made the garden, which Wesley admired,
are still visible behind the flats, which now occupy the site. Lord
Lyttleton there who was profligate and died following a dream which said he
would 1783 and his son 1779.Mrs.
Fitzherbert's stone lions from Nonsuch.Brick wall still there but with Luxury flats in the centre.South east corner of the garden is a tunnel
which goes under Pitt Road and goes across it to a cottage.Also Another tunnel and a badger house.Whereabouts of bits and pieces not known.
Scandalously demolished 1967. The double entrance to the ice house remains
in the rear of the grounds.
St.Martin. Medieval church built on the site of a Saxon
rebuilt 1825 and 1908.Composite style
in Commissioners’ Gothic. Incongruous font from 1460.Vinegar Bible.Spanish chest, which could have come from
Nonsuch.Monuments: war memorial. Roman
Stane Street passed nearby the church in a southwest direction.A lot of money was spent on expansion in the
early 20th but never really finished. Spire was taken down after a
storm in 1947.
128-129 The Cedars. Impressive early
Georgian. Two splendid cedars, which were blown down in 1987.There are two fire insurance marks. One is
from the Sun Fire Office bearing the policy number 357323, and the other from
The Westminster Insurance Office (1717-1906) with the number 26218.Originally owned by the Mysters and their
coat of arms is on it.
Public Hall/Picture Palladium. This
occupied the comer site at the junction of Upper High Street) and Church
Street. Opened in 1883, the Public Hall and Club provided the venue for
meetings, lectures, stage entertainments,
concerts and kinematograph displays. During the early part of the First World
War it was occupied by the military authorities as a recruiting centre.
Following a period of relative inactivity it was refurbished in 19 16 to become
The Picture Palladium. A sound system was introduced in 1929, but the theatre
closed its doors in mid-1930 and was demolished in 1934 to make way for the
development of the Quadrant Parade.
The Quadrant shops
Old King’s Head. mid 17th pub
The Railway Cottages for railway
Copse Edge Avenue
Estate built here in the early
Generating Station owned by the Urban
District of Epsom and Ewell.This began
work on 5 February 1902, to provide a
direct current supply with a capacity of 110 kilowatts. In 1904 a Bellis &
Morcom compound steam set, was added and in 1906 a Browett & Lindley triple
expansion set.In 1913 Diesel power was
used and supplied pumps in the Council's Water Department. In 1930 a 33 bulk
supply was set up through the London and Home Counties Joint Electricity
Authority at Croydon power station, with the Epsom plant being retained for
stand-by. Demands made by the growing housing estates and the need to renew
ageing supply mains, led to the conversion to an ac system in the 1930s.Everything had gone from Depot Road by 1954
although the Corporation retained control until Nationalisation in 1948. Most
of the site was demolished in the 1960s.
Dorling was a printer in Bexhill, which he left in 1821 to establish his
flourishing printing business in Epsom, first in Upper High Street and later at other premises including Depot Road
where the company operated for many years until closure in 1979. Among the company's
varied products were the well-known race cards entitled 'Dorling's List of
Epsom Races'.These were printed on a
flat bed Albion press made by John Richardson of Fleet Lane, London, and which
is now in Bourne Hall Museum.
Ladies’ College. 1890s
Chalk Pit. Now the Elizabeth Welchman Garden, having been bequeathed to the
Borough by that lady on her death in 1906.
Electrical Theatre Cinema. This was on the
corner of Hook Road and East Street, and opened at the end of 1910 as The
Electric Theatre, showing silent films with piano accompaniment until about
1923-24. It reopened in 1926, and continued as the Pavilion Theatre, presenting
stage productions until closure in 1929. The building was partially destroyed
by fire, was partly used as a cafe, and survived the Second World War and was
demolished in 1953.
Artesian well sunk in 1853.
The Grove House.Late 18th house.
County Court built 1938
Upper High Street
Was called Station Road
34 First Post Office Exchange, opened in
1905.It was originally a manual
exchange but converted to automatic
operation on 18 May 1912 by the Automatic Electric Company of Chicago – first
in the country. The site has been redeveloped.
Epsom Town Station Site In 1844 the London
and Croydon Railway Company (L&CR) decided that an atmospheric railway
should be built between London and West Sutton, with an extension to Epsom. The
system proved to be unworkable and trains were locomotive- hauled when,
following a merger in I 846, the line to Epsom opened in 1847 as part of the
London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LB&SCR). The first station to
be built in Epsom was Epsom Town, where there were goods sidings, engine sheds
and a turntable, together with a branch siding to Nonsuch brickworks in East
Street. The station closed in 1929, however some of the original station
buildings may still be seen behind the shops at numbers 47 - 57. A housing
development now occupies the site of the goods yard.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by