East Croydon

  This post is not finished it is not edited or checked


Academy Gardens

Addiscombe

Edescamp 1229, Adescompe 1279, Addescompe 1416, Addescombe 1456, that is 'enclosed land of a man called Eddi, from Old English camp and an Old English personal name. The same man Eddi may have given name to Addington.

Addiscombe Grove

Neil stables/garage

Addiscombe Road

17th Parsons Farm. Addiscombe land owned by the Royal Military College for the Indian Army. Went to Woolwich in 1866, sold to British Land Company, 1875. Nest of villas and two churches

India House site of Addiscombe Place and Tudor site Vanbrugh/Thornhill, 1869. East India Co. military academy. Roads on the estate named after East India. Co. people

96 Heronscroft, 17th, cottage with jettied front brick, 1676 rural survivals, stranded in suburbia

107 Cricketers Pub. Collection of jugs and bric a brac

281, flint and brick, with the date 1676.

Commercial Union House. 1965/8 large. One of the best of New Croydon. By the Austin-Smith/Lord Partnership. Partly twelve-storey, it has a projecting frame clad in white mosaic, with a crisp rhythm of paired uprights and strong horizontals. Recessed walling m black mosaic, with black-painted window frames. An almost detached three-storey block forms a porte-cochere

General Accident Fire and Life Insurance, 1961-3 by Biscoe & Stanton, eight-storeyed, oblong, with precast concrete elements, designed unfortunately so that the whole looks rather like folded paper, canting forward and backward. Even the angles do this, so that one feels like stretching the shape straight or squashing it. The window mullions also cant inward and outward, contradicting the plain oblong glazing

NLA House by R. Seifert & Partners, 1968-70, octagonal and twenty-three storeys high, i.e. the highest building in Croydon of its date, and, like the same architect's slightly earlier Centre Point, squeezed on to the middle of the roundabout. The building has a curious rhythm of canted bays projecting in alternating positions. So in fact no floor plan is strictly octagonal. They are square with splayed corners, the splay of one always placed above the middle of a side of the next lower

Villas – the road continues towards the suburb of Park Hill with some conventional stucco-trimmed villas

St.Mary Magdalene, 1870. Church of St.Paul, but now Park Hill estate. More spacious, 1861. Ecclesiastical commissioners but no water until 1870s. Replaced by Wates Housing

East India Co cadet school gas customers

Lebanon Road Tram Stop. 1998. Between East Croydon and Sandilands on Croydon Tramlink

Sandilands Tram Stop. 1998. Between Addiscombe and also Lloyd Park and Lebanon Road on Croydon Tramlink

Bute Street

Name connected to Addiscombe Place

Canning Road

Name connected to the military school at Addiscombe Place. Allude to a Governor-General of India, the holder of the office at the time of the Indian Mutiny.

Chertsey Close

Chichester Road

St.Matthew, 1965/77. David Bwh. Relocated here in 1971 as a large church for the new housing of Park Hill. It is a bold brick hexagon, windowless to the road, entered by a triangular foyer with tall clerestory. A hall with split pitched roof and stained glass made up by John Hayward from old glass from St Matthew, George Street. In the foyer is glass from St John.  Sculpture of two angels from the old St, Matthew’s church.

Wates housing of the 1970s yellow brick with tile- hanging, pleasantly laid out

Clyde Road

Name connected to Addiscombe Place

Ashleigh left from the college

India left from the college

Croydon Park

Elgin Road

The Name is connected to the military school at Addiscombe Place and alludes to a Governor General of India.

 George Street

Congregational Church

Black Horse

Grant Road

Havelock Road

The name is connected to the military school at Addiscombe Place and refers to the Indian Mutiny.

Gymnasium Havelock Hall 1809-1861 now in industrial use, brown brick, round- headed windows, the only major relic of the East India College founded in 1809 by the East India Company and closed in 1861. Converted to flats.

Hill Rise.

Wates 1962 with in house architect K.W.Bland using ideas from Span.

Langton Way

Mulberry Lane

Addiscombe House – reputed secret passage to Addiscombe Place. Mulberry tree was in the garden. 

Nicholson Road

One of the local street names, which allude to Governors-General of India. It meets Lower Addiscombe Road opposite its junction with Outram Road

Outram Road

Name connected to Addiscombe Place and to the Indian Mutiny.

20 Frederick George Creed, blue black teleprinter inventor. 1871-1957 'electrical engineer, inventor of the teleprinter, lived and died here' Creed was born in Nova Scotia and came to Britain in 1897. After a brief spell in Glasgow he lived most of his life here during a lifetime of research into the practical and commercial possibilities that emerged following the invention of the telephone. At the turn of the 20th Century, he started work at nearby factory premises that had been adapted to produce the teleprinter he had invented and which newspaper offices all over the world eventually had installed. Plaque erected 1973

Pembroke Lodge on the site of Addiscombe Place.

Addiscombe Place on the corner with Mulberry Lane. 1702 built by Vanburgh and replaced an Elizabethan mansion. 1809 sold by Emelius Ratcliffe to the East India Company as their military seminary. College closed in 1861 and sold in 1853.

Park Hill

Park Hill Recreation Ground. Opened in 1888

Water tower. 1860 with an earlier brick service reservoir demolished 1867. Brick, in the Norman style. 100' high. Turret was a flue for the engine house, demolished, to pump water to the tank. Gutted 1971. Disused.  By Baldwin Latham. Brick, in the Norman style preserved as a landmark. Hill recreation ground and park where the Park Hill Water Tower (1867) can be seen. The structure is now empty and roofless. The mound to the south is all that remains of the demolished cylindrical brick-vaulted covered reservoir of 1850-51. Local landmark.

Shell beds. Oysters scattered through the sand.

Park Hill Rise

Hill Rise, 1962-3 b; K. W. Bland, Wates's chief architect

Park Hill Road,

An estate of Victorian villas laid out by the Church Commissioners in 1861 once a proper water supply had been established.  Largely replaced by Wates' housing of the 1960s-70s. Much of it pleasantly brick or tile-hung, in the Eric Lyons tradition.

Marshfield. Flats 1968 are groups of flats by Auston Vemon & Partners,

Cotelands flats 1968 are groups of flats by Auston Vemon & Partners,

Turnpike Link, by F. Cr. MacManus & Partners, 1966-8, two- and three-storey terraces, austerely de tailed in pale brown brick with slate-grey panels and grouped excellently round landscaped courtyards. The plum-coloured tower block is by Bland.

St.Bernard's. 21 houses in three terraces 1968. Sensitive French system derived from Corbusier. Few equals in Britain. By the Swiss architects A Teller, partner-in-charge Anatole di Fresne for Wates. Originally 147 houses were planned. Group with few equals in Britain: the architects have sensitively adapted the stepped terrace system of their Siedlung Halen at Bern to the gentler suburban slopes of Surrey, replacing rough concrete with brown stock brick and timber stained or painted white. Each house is approached through an enclosed garden with an outdoor eating room under a pergola, at an upper level, the living room having a panorama to distant hills. The bedrooms open on to a second, lower garden. Car parking is underground.

Sonnenberg

Terraces -Less demanding by John Bridges of Wates, 1969-71.

Park Hill Village.

Church Commissioners estate mid-Victorian, now Wates housing in the Eric Lyons tradition. 1962-70 using variety of architects

Radcliffe Street

Name connected to Addiscombe Place

Radcliffe tunnel carried the former Woodside & South Croydon Railway (closed in 1983) under Park Hill, on the east side of the town. They are now used by the modern Croydon trams,  145m  A bored tunnel with elliptical brick-lined arch profile

Railway Line

Tunnel. Built in 1860s by J.Firbank. It was Very difficult through Woolwich and Reading clay. The centre of the hill had fallen in so it needed a deep central cut into the middle and then short tunnels outwards and the centre had to be cut and cover. There is Ventilation shaft at either end of this tunnel. 2 miles long but very difficult - three tunnels. There were many earth slips on the line. In 1983 a study was commissioned to consider turning it into a road.  It took three years to construct this very short railway. The three closely spaced tunnels reflect the geotechnical difficulties. The railway closed in 1983 and part is now used from the Sandilands tram stop for Tramlink.

Woodside Tunnel 266 yards. – a standard bores of elliptical profile though mainly London Clay.

Park Hill Tunnel 122 yards. Built through quicksands and loose running pebble beds. It is a cut-and-cover tunnel under a semicircular arch along the floor of a large cutting made in the centre of the hill - to remove the most troublesome ground made up of Blackheath, Woolwich and Reading Beds.

Coombe Lane Tunnel 157 yards. – a standard bores of elliptical profile though Thanet  Sand respectively.

Dell between the tunnels, which was there before 1914 where there was a rifle range. It was visited by various natural history societies.

Cutting.  The original London and Brighton Railway line built in 1841 running southwards from East Croydon was composed of two tracks in a conventional cutting with sloping sides through Thanet Sand. It was been widened in the 1860s and the 1890s and now has five tracks without additional widening of the area because sloping cutting sides were been cut back and replaced by brick retaining walls. The bases of supports for overhead electric wires before third-rail electrification can still be seen.

Selbourne Road

Archbishop Tennison School 1960s. Curtain walled.

St.Mildred. Hare 1931

Stanhope Road

Park Hill House was near here. It was originally built for the keeper of the deer park for the Archbishops of Canterbury. Rebuilt several times and demolished in 1949.

Park Hill Junior and Infant School 1968.

Red Lodge. A crisp tile-hung Lutyens-style house by W. Curtis Green, 1911.

Stanhope Lodge Sudbury Gardens

Temple Road

Name connected to Addiscombe Place,

Thornhill Street

Name connected to Addiscombe Place

Trinity Close

Turnpike Hill.

Three storey houses. Plus plum coloured tower block. 1966.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow