London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
The Chaffinch flows north
east towards the Pool and the Ravensbourne.It join the Beck/Pool coming from the west,
Co-op Playing Fields\
Beckenham Rugby Club
Eden Park Polo Club was at the back
of Elmer Lodge on the site of the football ground
Elmer Grange was built as Lymore for a Welsh tailor in 1850.It was later renamed around 1918 with new
owners.It was wrongly believed to have been
built round a medieval priory.Survived
into the 1970s as flats
46 Maunsell House on the
site of the Odeon cinema 1939-1957.Originally in 1936 this was the site of a cottage and it was intended to
build a Savoy Cinema. It was taken over by Oscar Deutsch for an Odeon which opened
in 1939. It was designed by Keith Roberts of Andrew Mather. It had a tower, a
curved entrance and a parade of shops with flats above.There was seating for 1.500 with internal grilles,
and decoration of the signs of the Zodiac. It was closed only 17 years later by
the Rank Organisation and it was demolished.
Odeon Parade of shops and flats were retained.
116 William IV, mock Tudor building but thought to have
existed during the 18th.Known
as the 'Willie' to the locals
Farm steeple chasing course which went from opposite Elmer Lodge to Sidney
cottages in Beckenham Road.
Beckenham School of Art annexe.Now
in other use.
Azelia Hall.built in 1953 by Alfred Parker, a former
resident of Beckenham, in memory of his wife ‘Azelia’, and endowed as a Charity
for the benefit of the residents of the former borough of Beckenham.
Elmer Lodge pub.Thus was the principal house in Elmers End,
originally built c. 1710.It was also
known as Gwydir House and Eden Lodge. In 1839 the house was damaged by fire and
soon after 1856 the house and lodge were demolished, and rebuilt by John
Goddard. In 1878 it was called Elm Lodge. In the early 20th it
became a boys' school called Craven College. It then became the Manor House
Club, but has since been re-named Elmer Lodge.
It was once called Elm End
Green and partly owned by the Elmer, or Aylmer family – and thus recorded as ‘Aylmersende’ in 1494.
Council housing of the interwar
Congregational Free Church built in 1931, incorporating the Mission Hall
in Langley Road.
Council housing of the interwar
V2 at rear on allotments. Marion Vian
School badly damaged. 8 injured. Midnight 10 March 1945
of 1879-88 by A. R. Sunning but this is hidden by a newer building by G.
Sworder Powell. Inside is a painting of the Resurrection by A. K.Lawrence,
1955. The church was built as a Chapel of Ease and became a separate parish in
1924 and enlarged and dedicated in 1936.
St James's School.In 1879 land was
given for a church and school to be paid for by public subscription.The school was opened a year later.It was behind the church. But the school
could not accommodate all the local children and in 1930 the children were transferred
to a new school in Adams Road.St
James's school was closed. The buildings continued in use as church premises
Fields with a stream running through them and with a line
of elm trees cut down for the church extensions.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by