London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished, it has not been edited or checked
Fire trenches and tank traps set up at the bottom in the Second World War.
Pillboxes were built; one in a private front garden
25 Glebe House, probably early eighteenth century
MacAndrew Recreation Ground. Preparations for war included digging trenches
and Public air raid shelters were set up and Emergency water supply tanks,
holding up to 5,000 gallons each,
War memorial. The present site by MacAndrew Recreation Ground became the
home of this white granite ionic cross in 1939 when it was moved from the
junction of High Street and Sherwood Way. The memorial was originally unveiled
in June 1921 by Lieutenant Colonel Vansittart.
Obelisk. small granite and behind the war memorial is dedicated to
Lieutenant Colonel, Sir Henry Arthur Hallam Farnaby Lennard Bart who was born
at Pickhurst Manor, Hayes, in 1859. After taking a commission with Kent
Artillery Militia he became second in command of the 8th Border Regiment and
then commander of the 11th Cheshire Regiment. In June 1924 he made a gift of 36
acres of Spring Park to the residents of West Wickham
The lane historically ran from Wickham Green to Hawes Farm.
Housing – older houses date from 1909-1912 with late 1920s council housing.
Bungalows built as part of a self-help scheme after the Second World War.
In the Second World War Concrete blocks were placed at the junction with
Silver Lane – presumably to stop it being used as a through route.
Glebe School – was previously Spring Park School
Phoenix Youth Centre
Oak Gate Lodge – back near the school entrance
Methodist Church – a Link building from 1980 replaced a church of 1960,
itself replacing a church of 1935.
Pathway across the railway to Pickhurst Rise – there was a stile on this
path until 1936 which prevented walkers from crossing the railway.
The Railway. Was originally the Railway Hotel. Opened 1882 along with the
Old name was Wickham Street, or Commonway to Croydon
Swan Inn, 1840 but really older
Used to be an elm called Stocks Tree
West Wickham House, Caught up in a shopping
parade, at the corner of High Street and Wickham Court Road, mainly of 1870-1
by Norman Shaw, extending a house by W. M. Teukon. Shaw's work is of
considerable historical significance, as
one can see if one raises one's eyes above the shopfronts; forhere is the full vocabulary of the Queen Anne
style, red brick, white-framed sash windows, a deep white eaves cove,
pedimented dormers, and the teasing conflict between near symmetry in the
windows and a random placing of massive chimney stacks -several now removed. West Wickham
House on the corner of Wickham Court Road. Norman Shaw house of considerable
Vine Cottage 1760
Bank 1865 which was the village bakery
Greenhayes School was National School 1818
Noviomagus.suggestion tht the Roman settlement was in this area rather than
Layham's Farm.The farm is marked as
‘Leyhams Farm’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1819, so named from ‘Leyham’ 1289,
probably 'the fallow or unploughed enclosure', from Old English ‘Ege’ and
Wickham Court Lodge
43 Dolly's Garden, Semi-detached house recognisable by small sunken flower
is garden in the front. Dolly Robertson created her garden over 60 yrs ago and
it has been organic ever since. She made raised vegetable beds which she
gardened from her wheelchair until her death in 2004. Her daughter now manages
the garden, 24ft X 70ft, with disabled visitors in mind. It is a loved garden.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by