London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
St Mary Magdalene R.C., 1958 by Wilfred C.
Mangan. Dull red brick, with angular window lights, tower; steeply pitched steel-framed
De Bohun Primary School.Compact
well designed Middlesex County Council
De Bohun Library and Clinic.Middlesex County Council 1939 – because Southgate had not adopted the
A few nice early mid-c19 cottages
Oakleigh Road North
368 Whetstone Books
North Middlesex Golf Course.
Club house is the former Manor House Farm.Grand stuccoed house. With a pediment to its taller central bay, earlier
c19, but much altered.
A few nice early mid-c19 cottages
Open space a stream rises here in wet wesathenr
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd.
Derby & London.Made at the
Britannia Foundry. It has a later EVIIR cypher. Small 15" dia. 1901 - 1904
Totteridge and Whetstone Station.Opened 1st April 1872. Between High
Barnet and Woodside Park on the Northern Line It was opened for main-line
trains of the Great Northern Railway on and at first called ‘Totteridge’. It is on the northern side of Totteridge
Lane, east of– which is the traditional
boundary betweenand- hence the station is actually in Whetstone.
In 1890 the waiting room was built.In 1940 it became part of the Northern Line and was first used by their
trains on 14th April.
Whetstone High Road. Great North Road
This was according to plans of Mr
Telford andThe effects of these massive
improvements may be seen in the dip whichfollows Whetstone and
shopping parades arepunctuated
by a tall office block at each end
1197/7 Garage, Bill Thompson private buses, part of premises of Standard
Tyre Co., 1977, Cardinal and Majestic Buses
Ever Ready house
Barnet House. Borough offices, 1966 by R.
Seifert & Partners, twelve and three storeys on a T-plan, with mosaic
cladding and tapered stilts
in Seifert's 1960s manner.
Turnpike gate at
Whetstone at the Griffin Inn.The gate
dated from the days when a determined effort was made to improve this section
of the northern road.Pepys, visiting
Barnet Wells in 1660, speaks of there being only one path and that digged up'
by the excessive loads carried by the stage waggons.Plans were foiled by the Whetstone rustics
who attacked the Surveyor and his road workers.New measures were called for and by 1810 the Whetstone and Highgate
Turnpike Trust had converted it into the best highway in the kingdom.Once established it operated until 1863.It was a convenient point to observe
traffic.In 1830, 90 stage coaches
passed through every 24 hours.This figure
30 would be augmented by the post-chaises, local traffic and waggons.
Beneath the tall sign of the Griffin inn there still stands the worn
granite stone block said to be the original whet-stone, that used for the
sharpening of swords before the battle of Barnet.The truth of the story has been vigorously
contested but the legend remains
Hand and Tower, coaching inn
Black Bull, coaching inn
Black Swan, coaching inn
Bull and Butcher, coaching inn
Christ Church 1867-9 by Norton. Coursed ragstone, with a big rose window
above a narthex; gabled aisles added 1874 1880 end 1891. A spire was intended.
Impressive Victorian interior, with red brick walls and tall stone clustered piers and foliated capitals, made rich
and dark by much stained glass. The windows are better collectively than
individually.Aisle 1868 by W.H.
Constable, rather harsh.A fine rose
window of c.1870, with abstract patterns by Bell & Co. chapel by A. L.
Moore, c.1891-2. Six-light window with Te Deum, c. 1911 by James Powell. Brass
gas brackets in the chancel. War memorial on wall.
North Finchley United Reformed Church. 1864-5, Decorated Gothic, with tower
and spire. Extensions, 1894. Stained glass in transepts brought from New College, Swiss Cottage.
1266-1270, an irregular two- storey group
with tiled roofs of differing heights. Ground floors altered for shops.
1264 Behind the brick front range of a late
medieval timber-framed rear wing, a rare survival in this area. Close studded
walls with arched braces, and a crown-post roof, smoke-blackened at the ends,
suggest that at least part of the range was an open hall.
Bank Buildings of c. 1900, ending with a
green comer dome.
1331-1337, a brick group, mostly early c19
and c20 in Georgian style
1339, early c18, two bays, red brick, with
St John 1832. The first additional church to
be built in the old Parish of Finchley. Small and plain, with the polygonal
frets typical of the date. White painted turret, Gothic, with battlements and
an ogee dome. Square-headed windows. In 1879 Brooks supplied c13 tracery to the windows, provided a new
roof and seating and built a chancel and vestry.Stained glass window by William Morris &
Co., crucifixion, with leafy background.
In 1900 Whetstone was a straggling village with a broad High Street.Now it is largely urbanised, any rurality
that the place possessed having been dissipated by the building of new high
office blocks, such as that opposite the Griffin.On the borders of the old parishes of Friern
Barnet and Finchley, it developed along the Great North Road, probably soon
after this stretch was made in the c14. But apart from St John's Church and a
group of old buildings nearly all the High Road is now of the c20, and of
Early centre North End, on the west side of the present Whetstone;
Baxendale was the head of Pickfords, built a house and had a horse hospital
Club House site of old manor house, Queen Elizabeth was there
Suburb expanded from 1851 when Great Northern Railway opened station, New
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n