London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
The Ching flows south west and
then turns North West
King.Roman Catholic Church built in 1996 by Scott
Tallon Walker, replacing a church of 1932.It is a landmark on the North Circular Road in Brown brick with a
triangular bell-tower. Inside are furnishings by Herbert Read of St Sidwell's
Artworks, Tiverton. There is a small Blessed Sacrament chapel, with an engraved
metal tabernacle and abstract stained glass by Sarianne Durie, 1998.
Greyhound stadium. This was opened in 1931 by William
Chandler and remained in his family.It
replaced a stadium set up by the Walthamstow Grange Football club and institute
and part of the land used was the Myrtle Grove Sports Ground. It is a survivor
of a popular suburban working-class entertainment of the earlier 20th. It
was also used for motor cycle speedway and stock car racing and the speedway
track is said to remain on site. It has a long white concrete frontage with
stepped art deco parapet built in 1932, plus red tubular railings which front a
parking area. It once had a clock tower and a night club was opened in its
remains. Thus is very striking at night when the neon lighting, installed for
the 1952 coronation, is visible. There are two original totalisator boards
designed by Thomas Edge of Woolwich. The stands, designed by Captain Meston,
have cantilevered roofs, one of concrete, the corrugated metal, with a
hospitality suite from the 1980s. The River Ching runs under the south stand in
a culvert. The kennels are arranged in a crescent. Closed in 2008 and likely to
Roadside grassed waste outside
the Greyhound Stadium is part of Epping Forest. The Ching runs under it in a culvert
area across the road from the stadium was used as a parking area for patrons to
Hall. This was a local manor mentioned in 1303. Its land lay between Billet
Road and the Chingford boundary and with s fields on Folly Lane and Chingford
Road. It was sold to the Crown in the mid-16th and in 1564 was
leased to Elizabeth’s old tutor and academic, Roger Ascham. The land was eventually
sold for development in 1904. The hall itself was first mentioned in 1499 lying
south of the Ching on the west side of Chingford Road.A timber framed house was built here in the
16th which was demolished by the local council in 1952 when
excavation revealed it’s the medieval foundations.
Playing fields opened here in the early 20th by Hackney
based Major Charles Villiers for Hoxton Manor boys club. The land had previously
been a dairy farm on the site of Salisbury Hall.
Manor Allotments. The allotment site was set up in
1957 on what had been council run playing fields. This was for plot holders who
had lost sites at Eton Manor allotments because of the building of Ruckholt
and Blades Playing Field
from the pre-Great War period with the Ching providing the north boundary,
name of the road indicates that it was intended to stretch through to Highams
Park Station – and old maps show it joining to Merriam Avenue.However extensions to the Xylonite works
blocked its route.
factory. This extension to the British Xylonite works stood at what is now the
end of the road. Here Lactoid was made by BX Plastics was made from 1922. Lactoid
is a Casein plastic based on a process using milk curds. There is now housing
on the site.
Highams Park and Chingford Affiliated Synagogue. Founded
in 1932, in other premises. This modernist brick building was opened in 1937.
It has a tiled entrance.
Marc and Adele Blair hall. Youth centre built in 1968 to
match the synagogue.
school Sports grounds Highams park. Parminters School was based in Bethnal
Green, and is now in Watford. In 1920 land was purchased in Highams Park to
provide a sports ground.The school now
has its own sports centre in Watford and this ground, which was sold to the
local authority, is used by local teams. An arrangement with the Old Boys
Association continued for a while after the sale.
Sports College. Secondary school
End Sports Ground
was previously known as the London Hospital Athletic Ground.
Holiday Inn Express. The front was built as headquarters
for Hitchman's Dairy with lots of green-glazing and green pantiles on the roof.
It was opened in 1938 for milk processing. Hitchman’s Dairies had evolved from
local farmers one of whom was John
Hitchman wholeased Wadham Lodge farm
from Wadham College in the 1860 and gradually took on other local farms in the
Highams Park area. He retailed milk in the area throughout the late 19th.After the Great War Hitchman's were taken
over by Davies and Williams, and the firm became Hitchman's Dairies Ltd.And In 1938 this building was opened on what
was then Walthamstow Avenue. They became part of the Unigate group selling milk
in most of north east London.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis