Palmers Green

 

Bourne Avenue

Laid out by Edmundson on the Southgate House estate with picturesque medley

Burford Gardens

United Reformed Church, 1914 by George Baines & Sow, in their typical Late Gothic. Brick and stone with pretty flamboyant tracery.

Hall in the same style, 1909

Cannon Hill

2 The Hermitage. Is c18 in origin, a thatched cottage orne, quite large, of three bays, with bargeboarded gables and dormers and a Gothic door.

6, Cannon House, is c19, a two-storey three-window stock brick villa, with low weatherboarded former coach house.

15 North Met House. The Arnolds estate, owned by the Welds in the 17th  was acquired in 1719 by James Colebrook and he built this as New Southgate House. His house is enveloped in a vast red brick Neo-Georgian pile created for the North Metropolitan Electricity Supply Company  from 1929, converted for residential care called Southgate Beaumont in 1997-8. This includes a wing of 1765, added for Sir George Colebrook by Sir Robert Taylor, and another for Lord Newhaven in the later 18th . It became know locally as Arnos. Sir William Mayne Lord Newhaven was a later owner who changed the name to ‘Arnos Grove’. From 1777 to 1918 the house belonged to the cricketing Walker family. The house is  a dignified, well-proportioned building typical of its date, of dark red brick with brighter rubbed brick window heads.  The 20th  office additions include a stone porch and brick wings in matching style. A feature here is the survival of the bold Baroque scheme of painting, dated 1723 and signed by the Flemish artist Gerard Lanscroon, an assistant of Verrio at Windsor and Hampton Court. On the staircase walls, Apollo and the Muses, and the Triumph of Julius Caesar; on the ceiling, the Apotheosis of Caesar.

Crothall Close.

A pale echo of the style from Menlow Lodge. Crothall was the MCC schools architect.

Cullands Grove

In the 18th this was an estate belonging to Sir William Curtis. After his death the estate was bought by John Taylor at Grovelands and became part of that estate.

Bourne Hill,

New River Co. covered storage reservoir, 1,500,000 galls

St.John the Evangelist.  Colourful, eclectic.  Flamboyant windows. Etc

War memorial

Vicarage

St.John’s Halls

Fox Lane

Cattle pound corner Bourne Hill

Corib Court, the former Southgate County School by the MCC architect H. G. Crothall, 1909-10, now flats. In the free Baroque tradition which Crothall used so effectively for his secondary schools; seven-bay centre; stone surrounds to arched ground-floor windows, stone-faced projecting end pavilions, steep roof with decorative lantern.

Menlow Lodge, the former caretaker's house and manual instruction centre, uses similar details, including the perverse inset brick quoins at the comers,

Oakfield Road

Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.  Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works. Anonymous. High posting aperture with a small 15" diameter, 1879 - c.1884

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone