London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Means ‘place of the oaks’. The
town has been bypassed so we can see it in peace, and it makes a good picture
with a number of colour-washed cottages dating from the fifteenth to eighteenth
centuries, and separated from the traffic by a causeway
The street is rather infested by
antique shops, but you can try and ignore their presence
Old Bell Inn sixteenth-century. Has a restaurant and serves Truman's ale
St.Mary’s Church..Slow growth medieval church over-restored.
Short tower in Bargate stone.Glass,
plate. The church, partly rebuilt
after a fire in 1719 and restored in 1877. The low but stout 13th-century tower
has a 15th-century doorway and modem battlements. The south porch and doorway
are 15th- century work, as are the nave arcades and the octagonal font. The
tower is approached inside by a quaint 18th-century staircase. At the east end
of the south aisle are seen the stairs that climbed to the rood-loft. The
chancel, which has a 13th-century piscina and priest's door, and a 14th-century
chancel arch and windows, is connected with the north aisle by a curious
passage in the wall. On the south wall of the chancel are several small brasses
of the Hoskins family who lived at Barrowgreen House.
Congregational church of the Peace of God.Brick building modern 1825 by Lawrence.
Roman Catholic Church of all saints 1914-20 by Williams with chancel by
Station Road West
Wildest blocks of outrageous over timbering in the county,
which is saying something
The Oxted Line In 1877 companies, independent of the two major
companies competing in the area, obtained acts allowing the construction of
lines from Lewes to East Grinstead and from Haywards Heath to East Grinstead.
In 1878 the Brighton Company obtained powers to connect East Grinstead to
Croydon. From Croydon to Oxted the line followed the old Surrey & Sussex
Junction Railway. Joseph Firbank was the contractor for all these works. The
completion of Oxted Tunnel, the stations, the lattice girder bridges and the
branch lines to the chalk pits and brick works date to Firbank's time and
Oxted Station. 1880s
Coal and delivery sidings were
removed from the up side in 1969.
Oxted Viaduct pit wrought-iron lattice girder viaducts were
constructed utilising elegant brick piers. It is likely that some of the
brickwork was started in the time of the Surrey & Sussex Junction Railway.
Oxted tunnel is 2,087 metres long, curves, and was dug by
sinking shafts along its length from the surface at intervals of 200 yards. The
shafts were sunk in the time of the Surrey and Sussex Junction Railway (1865-7)
but the tunnel was completed by Joseph Firbank between 1878-84. It was the
longest tunnel built by Firbank and heavy springs were encountered at the base
of the chalk. There was a roof fall on 15 June 1917. The tunnel slopes
downwards to the south, and therefore discharges a significant quantity of
River Wandle catchment basin water out into the catchment area of the Eden.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by