London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Methodist Church 1931 by Farrow,
Turner & Cooper Plain, and substantial, cruciform with polygonal apse.
A superior suburb served by the station on the Great
Northern line. In 1876 there were 'recent collections of genteel villas'; and
large houses remain behind shrubberies and undulating roads.The name was invented by the Whetstone
Freehold Estate Co.Before that it has
been Matthews Farm belonging to the slave trading Haughton Clarke family.
Oakleigh Park South
All Saints School. Opened by the council in 1928.
An old road called Avernstreet in 1499 and has changed
several times since.
All Saints.Founded by John Miles of The Manor, Friern
Barnet. Built 1881-3 by Joseph Clarke. Faced with stone dressings, in a 13th
style. the founder's son, Henry
Miles, was the first vicar here. The special feature is the elaborate
decoration, still complete, carried out from the 1880s to the 1920s and devised
by Gambier-Pany and the Rev. Miles, with stained glass by Ward & Hughes –
Life of Christ in the chancel, showing Works of Mercy. Above a frieze with
angels and other figures above bold stencilling. Christ in Glory is over the
chancel arch completed 1923 after a design by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.Chapel of the Holy Spirit added 1905, with
glass of c. 1909-11 by T.F. Curtis of Ward
1264-1270 irregular group with different roof
heights.Behind 1264 is a medieval
timber framed ring
Bank buildings with a dome
1331-1229 brick front
Congregational Church, 1900, by E.F Knight. An odd specimen of its date and of the
fanciful leanings of the Congregationalists about 1900. Red brick with slim
fleche and two turrets with a curved parapet between. Perpendicular window in a
deep recess with eleven chamfers; the bottom part disappears behind the curved
top of a lower chapel.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by