London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Coventry farmhouse. 17th.timber-framed,
with later stucco front.
Posh area originally just called ‘Highwood’.Separated from the parish of Hendon in the 14th
it was a fashionable retreat in the 17th and 18th. ‘Highwodhyll’ 1543, ‘Hyewoodhffl’ 1568, named from ‘alto bosco’ 1321,
‘Highwode’, ‘Hiwode’ 1523,self-explanatory, 'the high wood' from Middle English ‘heghe’ and ‘wode’
with the later addition of hull. The elevation here is 443 ft
Highwood House. home of Sir Stamford
Raffles, later became a nursing home.It was
built shortly before1817 by
William Anderson and acquired by Raffles after1825.the
inside was altered c. 1950. The house was a rebuilding ofan older one, minor
parts of which remain at the back. The estate which had belonged to Lord
William Russell who was executed in 1683 as a a Rye Hill conspirator -who jumped out of the window here. Raffles is
the man who founded both Singapore and the London zoo – but only lived here for
a year until he died. His wife remained there. It has aneat stuccoed front; with ground-floor
windows recessed in arches.
Hendon Park. 140 acre property belonging to William Wilberforce.
Hendon Wood Lane corner, milestone
Rising Sun.17th century brick.licensed 1751. Original a 17th cottage.
Highwood Ash. 18th brick front with parapet, with some older timber framed
parts, enlarged in the 1660s. Celia Fiennes lived here 1713-37. Stables and 3 acreroses.
The Barn.in part of the formergrounds of Highwood
House, is a polygonal half-timbered studiohouse of c. 1937, with tiled roof and tall
Lady Russell’s well in the garden of The Barn..17th chalybeate. Circular of brick
with steps down restored 1973 17th well in garden dug and dedicated by daughter
of the conspirator's wife, W.Russell – inscription saying 'MRS RACHEL RUSSELL'S
GIFTJUNE YE 10
Glenamoy 1936 for Donald Sessions. by Oliver Hill, a late example of hisromantic Arts and
Crafts style; limewashed brick with a dramaticthatched roof. Splendidly sited. A curved plan,
with main roomsand central
open loggia on the outer curve, looking s over the valley.
Edgehill.a largemansion in Free
Classical ofc. 1910, four dentilled gables, Georgiansashes
Highwood Lodge. Exceptionally pretty cottage earlyci9 with barge-boarded
gables, the lower parts heavilycastellated.
Cottage, c. 1900, with half-timbering and tile-hanging.
Cottage , c. 1900, with half-timbering and tile-hanging
Graystanes G G Scott.Arts and crafts . 1907. forA. Gilbert Scott. L-shaped plan. Roughcast with
high prominent Jgables and
chimneys, now painted white. Stark unmoulded Jmullioned windows, but in the main gable a
mannered elongated central window with segmental pediment, recalling
the Arts and Crafts manner of Edgar Wood.
Powerscroftroughcast with three
tile-hung gables and a quaintly inappropriate late C20
French-chateau extension. 1900
Nan Clark's Lane
More cottages tucked away
Nan was a strangled servant girl
Wilberforce Walks. Bird sanctuary
Highwood Park House.Has featured in many TV series
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o