London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
mid-19th terrace - ruthlessly converted to flats
Adam Court. Pleasant sheltered housing.
ranges of almshouses. Lamb and Star Almshouses, 1754 restored. 10 poor
parishioners. Modernised 1960
Station. Plain and symmetrical. 1941. With stone surrounds and bowed ends, but
in 1930s modem dress, by Edmonton Architect's Department.
church hall. Stone-facednow the
Charles Lamb Institute, is Alder, 1907-8.
All Saints. A church was
here by c 1136-41 when Geoffrey de Mandeville gave it to Walden Abbey. A Chapel
was endowed in 1292, and there were also two chantry chapels. The church is a
c15 rebuilding, plus later alterations. It has the usual Middlesex tower with a
higher turret at the corner, built of Kentish rag. Yellow brick was used in
1772 to face the tall aisle. The Chapel and chancel are a 'sad example of
perverted taste' deplored in verse by the Rev. Dawson Warren in 1838 -
buttresses were chipped away and cased and ancient battlements were built up.
“The costly work of our forefathers' zeal.With sacrilegious hands were torn away and changed for timber”. In 1889
W. Gilbert Scott put back the Gothic windows removed the box pews and
galleries; During this work carved ornaments and a Norman archway were found -
grotesque heads and cable moulding, and shafts with zigzag. One stone has part
of an inscription including the letters ‘IT DE WALTHAM’.There is a Painting of Moses and Aaron,
signed W. Turner, c18, on the wall. Brasses are Reset in the wall: J.Askew and
wife, tiny figures above an inset tablet; Nicholas Birch 1523 and wife; E.
Nowell, wife and children 1616; Rowland Monoux 1574, wall tablet with indent
for kneeling figure, verse inscription below a replica of original which is now
in British Museum. c17 Ledger stones and many monuments. John Kirton 1529;George Huxley of Wyre Hall 1627, small
armorial tablet of alabaster with black cartouche from Belgium and red marble,
with skulls and a fine figure of Time above. Attributed to Maximilian Colt;
Anne Huxley 1653, wreathed oval; John Huxley 1661, architectural, with swags;
Elizabeth Huxley 1730, Doric tablet;Edward Rogers and family, 1660s, architectural; Thomas Maule 1714/15,
with fluted pilasters, feigned drapery at base By James Hardy ; R Galliard
1716, by Edward Stanton; Elizabeth Chaplin 1720 erected 1726, with delicate
marble Ionic columns; Rev. Dawson H Warren 1838 (of the poem) Chaste
Neoclassical um, signed H. King; Twin Gothic tablets to Charles Lamb 1834 and
William Cowper 1800, erected to commemorate a visit by the London and Middlesex
Archaeological Society in 1888. Fabell, the devil, is not there now. Elizabeth
Sawyer was a witch, who was executed. Bells 1734
nice churchyard with many good memorials. An enjoyable range of headstones. The
earliest of 1667; some fine decorative ones of the C18, e.g. Sarah Silverthome
1735, with figure of Time. Several c18 chest tombs, also the tombs of Charles
Lamb 1834 and his sister.
Great Cambridge Road
Middlesex County Council Park
Edmonton County School. Upper School was Edmonton Grammar school for the
Middlesex County Council 1931. By W. T. Curtis of the MCC, 1931, altered 1962.
A long dignified front in the Swedish classical tradition; big hipped roof with
small cupola. Extended 1968 after it became comprehensive.
Hyde Estate 1920s first big project for Edmonton Borough Council. Garden
suburb spirit. Grouped round a series of little greens. 1920 Niven and
Wigglesworth garden city principles.
Latymer School. A grammar school which
traces its origins to bequests of 1606 and 1624. it was sited In Church Street
until 1910. it has A long, striking Arts and Crafts frontage with sweeping
tiled roofs. The original building was by H. G. Crothall, Middlesex
County Architect in 1910 and remains at the end, with the hall sandwiched
between two lots of classrooms. The hall became a dining room when the
extension of 1924-8 was added.. Behind is a quadrangular lay-out with galleried
hall to accommodate 1,000, and classrooms on two storeys. Posh school which
only takes the posh local children.
Performing Arts Centre by Nicholas Hare Architects planned 1996.
West Lea Special School. Built by Middlesex County Council for TB sufferers
in the open air.1938, built by the
MCC. Low' formal composition facing playing fields. Hipped-Roofed hall with generously windowed
classrooms in projecting Wings, formerly opening on to gardens. One wing
originally had glazed openings to provide maximum fresh air.
Hazelbury Road junior school 1930. The expanding suburbs of between the
wars demanded a stream of schools from the MCC. quite Baroque, a formal
composition of one-storey pavilions. Centre with hipped roof and cupola. juniors and infants, formerly secondary,
Borough of Edmonton's first major
housing development, begun 1920. The architects were Niven & Wigglesworth.Roughcast semi-detached houses in garden
suburb spirit, somewith
tile-hung twin gables to create variety. They are grouped round a series of
Hyde Estate. Muncipal house Building south of here 1930s. RAF plane
crashed onto the estate in 1938. tower blocks built in the 1960s-1970s
Churchfield school 1974-8 by the Borough of Enfield, in the style of the
70s. Built as linked junior and infants' schools. Spreading single-storey group
with concrete-block walls and monopitch roofs. Free-flowing spaces with
open-plan classrooms (partly altered)
looking out to the surrounding' greenery. Extra classrooms added 1984.
St Ann’s Road
St Ann’s hospital,, transferred to London County Council from Metropolitan
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n