Ightham Mote

 

Mote Road

Ightham Mote, Most complete small medieval house in the county. 14th century moated manor. Parkland of 30 acres with a secret staircase. Setting is perfect. Now owned by the National Trust but was the home of Sir Thomas Colyer Colyer Ferguson, Bart. It dates from the reign of Henry II, when it belonged to Ivo de Haut r Eyot, when the oldest parts of the existing house were probably built. The earliest known owner is Thomas Cawne, late 14th – but the house is older than that. Also owned by the Selby family . Original early 14th house integrated into a later stone and timber framed courtyard house.  14th house forms one side of the courtyard and faces the entrance The house was built in 1340 with external additions in 1520, but little altered since then. Hall is the finest room spanned by a two centered stone arch with arches of timber of equal size at either end, dated 1340, it has its original oak ceiling and the entrance tower, 1480, its original wooden doors and the original covering of oak shingles exists beneath the later covering. The Hall doorway has characteristic 14th filleted rolled shafts but leads directly into the hall not as usually the case into the screens passage. Service end contained the kitchen and buttery. The Solar is at the other end timber framed 16th.  . At the upper end of the hall beyond the dais a doorway leads to the parlour and another doorway goes to the chapel undercroft. The chapel was built by Sir Richard Clement in the reign of  Henry V111 to replace an earlier chapel which was converted into bedroom.  The 17th decoration including Chinese hand painted wallpaper.

Gardens are formally laid out and you may see peacocks wandering through.  Mixed borders with many unusual plants; lawns, courtyard; orchard of Kent apples; water features including small lake, leading to woodland walk with trees, rhododendrons and other shrubs

Moat - On the south side of the building about 40 feet deep It is filled with clear, fresh water. There is a little bridge across it, which has ducks and swans.

Dog kennel listed Grade I for 19th Great Dane called Dido

Drive is a public right of way

Woods North of Ightham Mote

Earthworks of predecessor Norman Manor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone