London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
a popular week-end picnicking spot and starting point of many walks through
the forest. From 350 feet, one of the highest points of the forest, you have
extensive views over the LeaValley towards Waltham
Abbey. The commonly accepted explanation of the name 'HighBeach'
is that it stands on a layer of pebbles and sand. Within the northern ring of
the M25 a large chunk of woodland is centred
on HighBeach. It occupies a ridge between the
Lee and RodingValleys and is famous for its hornbeams,
lopped for centuries by the commoners of surrounding parishes. There are as
many beeches as hornbeams scattered evenly throughout the woodland cover. The
hornbeams come close to dominance near the Loughton side of the forest. The
weirdly shaped old trees are the product of centuries of hard work and use
although the lack of any major cutting back in later times has created a dense
shade where very little grows. 'Named' trees such as the King's oak near the
Conservation Centre, the Fairmead oak and many others have largely gone or become
sad relics but the forest still has aspecial atmosphere.
Catacombs in the garden, tumble of
masonry, built in the 1860s from the stones of Chelmsford gaol, rocks which look as if from
another building, mound in the garden, circular part open to the sky, six
pillars conceding the stone niches & structural glass, rough asymmetrical
stones, almost round features, dark at the bottom.
Most of Tennyson’s ‘In Memoriam’
written there, near the Meridian
Epping Forest and War
Charcoal burning exhibition
Royal Oak Hotel.This is a modem building erected in
1887, and its attractions now include a new swimming-pool.
Reservoir, near King’s Oak.2,500,000 galls., 371’ above OD, 1880s
Reservoir, service from Chingford Mill Chingford Water,
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o