London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Hill End Road
An isolated hamlet.Marked as
‘Hillend’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1880, that is ‘district by the hill',
English ‘ende’. The hill referred to is called One Tree Hill. The name is more
likely to derive from a former landowner. Houses here in 1754 and later cheap
cottages built for workers in the local quarries and brickworks.
Building in the area after the First World War.
Plough – no custom and converted into a
Old Park Wood A large proportion of this wood is considered to be ancient
woodland covering a varying geology of chalk or sand.Formerly belonging to the estates of
Harefield Park. On the ridge, oak and
birch woodland dominates with a bracken field layer. Oak and ash occupy the
lower slopes, shading into alder woodland along the springline valleys. Rare
plants such as opposite-leaved golden saxifrage are still found here, although
herb Paris—once plentiful in the wood—seems to have disappeared. Early purple
orchid and coral root are just a couple ot species that contribute to the
Chalk shaft. North East of the road. A 75 ft. shaft with a 20 ft. by 15 ft.
cross section.Dug between 1880 and 1900
to pump water. The cross beams and remains of the pump are still in place in
the shaft. Moving water could be seen at the bottom and it is possible that if some
of the debris were removed access could be gained to a set of adits.
Harefield Grove. Initial services.The house is a Grade II listed 18th
mansionwith landscaped water gardens.
Converted to offices in 1985.
Harefield Grove Farm.Farm here in
1684 called Guttersdean Farm. In the 19th exotic fruit and
vegetables grown in 100 greenhouses with 50 miles of hot water pipes.Used as C15s HQ in The Professionals.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by