Guildford

 

St. Joseph’s Road

7-11 remains of the old village of Stoke.  16th attractive half-timbered building with one close-timbered gable with herringbone brick infilling, probably C16,

Stoke Road

Stoke Park. Technical college and school of art. Neo Georgian. Municipal Bathing-Pool and Sun-Bathing Beach called 'The Lido'. This was constructed at a cost of  £20,000 and opened in 1933. The bathing-pool is 165 feet long and 90 feet wide

Parson’s Hospital.  1796, as conservative as the Parson tablet in Stoke church.  Memorial inscription on a woolsack, the founder was a mercer, with pointed windows, the only concession to late C18 ideas.  Otherwise a seven-bay handsome pedimented centre with a pretty octagonal classical cupola above, still the type of 1720. Stoke Hospital for six poor widows of Stoke or Worplesdon,

Stoke Hotel an early c19 house with ogee windows and a frilly cast-iron porch.

St.John the Evangelist church. 14-15th modernised with 15th tower and 18th font of black-and-white marble. . Effect is Victorian.  Monuments, etc. enlarged in 1851,

Dapdune Wharf

Timber and boat building next to Wey Navigation. Blacksmiths shop, ad steam chest. Office (1968) of the National Trust.  The wharf itself dates from the early nineteenth century and was the site of the boat-building yard of the Stevens family, the former owners of the Navigation.  The last barge was launched here in 1944, but building and the repair of pleasure craft continues

Reliance. Arthur Legg worked on the Wey barges of William Stevens & Sons 1901-1956.  Fred Legg, Arthur's son, started in 1937 was also a barge captain and In 1968 was in charge of Reliance which while beiing towed with wheat from London Docks.hit Cannon Street railway bridge was holed and sank. She was refloated and her cargo made into dog biscuits. twenty years later she was brought to Guildford and restored.

Woodbridge Hill

Dennis, 1905, private cars till 1913 and then specialist vehicles, became business park

Woodbridge road

Some ambitious mid-c 19 speculation.  Detached villas, some Tudor and various shades of Italianate, some stuccoed, some brick and stone, probably all by the same builder.  Indifferent quality.

Woodbridge. No doubt originally a wooden bridge, but a brick one later. It  was rebuilt by Surrey County Council in 1912/13 and  carries traffic in the Portsmouth direction as built as part of the original Guildford By-pass in the 1930s. When this was dualled a second bridge was constructed to carry the traffic heading towards London.

Wellington Place.  1852, a formidable set of semi-detached Tudor blocks,

St.Saviour’s Church is of concrete as a symbol of the products of industry poor and incredibly conservative

Methodist Church 1966 An interesting feature is the wall behind the communion area, built of concrete blocks varying in colour and texture: an attempt to use light and shade for ornamental purposes and at the same time a symbol of the offering to God the products of industry.

Wharf Lane

Boat building yard

Wey

When the Wey Navigation was built in 1653, the land on both sides of the river was owned by Thomas Dalmahoy.  After the Restoration there were disputes about the Navigation. Its ownership was contested and there were claims for compensation. The Act of Parliament which had authorised it was held to be invalid. The Navigation they settled for payment out of future tolls. The agreement with Thomas Dalmahoy was that he and his successors should receive, in perpetuity, four pence for every ton or load carried on the stretch of river which ran through his property. This and other agreements were incorporated in a new Wey Navigation Act passed in 1671. The Groats and the two other payments agreed at this time (the River Pence and the Two-and-a-Half-Pence) were a first charge on the receipts of the Navigation. They had to be paid before any profits were distributed. This made for quite complicated book- keeping and calculation at a time when ready-reckoner books were all the help available. The Groats could amount to more than £350 in a year. The last payment was nine shillings and sixpence in 1958.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone