Road name which reflects the name of Nicholas Carter in 1574, while the second element indicates that this lane was an approach to gates of Enfield Chase
Carterhatch Lane Halt 12th June 1916. This Great Eastern Railway Company halt stood north of the road bridge. It was a very simple affair, and was constructed for just £159. Platform constructed from sleepers completely devoid of shelter, and boasted just a name board and two oil lamps. In 1919 it was closed and the platform lingered on for some years, gradually disintegrating, but had gone by the late 1940s.
Created in 1903 from the estate of the former manor house called Durrants, recorded as ‘Durauntespiace’ 1382, ‘Durantes manor ‘1402, so named from the family of Adam Durant 1244.
This area was known in 1572 as Cocksmith’s End. The name changed mid-18th and it is marked as Enfield Highway on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, it is a settlement mainly from the 18th century named from the kings highway leading toward London 1610, a reference to the old Roman road called Ermine Street - now the A1010.
Police Station 1840 which covered much of the surrounding area as far away as Cheshunt
Built along the line of Ermine Street.
Wright’s Almshouses 1843. The heavy hoods over the doorways typical of the date
The Bell. Early 19th later one-storey portico.
Carnegie Library 1909 by R. Collins, District Surveyor.
Albany Pool c. 1990.
23 Enfield Timber Company. A broad-gauge industrial railway steam locomotive from Finland in the timber yard. An 0-6-0 side tank locomotive with outside cylinders built in 1927 by Oy Tampella A/B, Tampere, works number 373. The locomotive carries a running number 792 and is called HEN. It is fitted with a huge balloon spark-arrester chimney so presumably was intended to work, appropriately, on forest lines.