London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Hillfield Castle - Sly's Castle.Gothic fantasy 1805 by Sir Jeffrey
WyatvilleIt is a cemented building, castellated and
turreted and has a gatehouse with porticullis.
Large house. Circa 1798-99 by Jeffry Wyatt for G.Villiers. RThe
house was built as Hillfield Lodge replacing Slys Castle. The garden
(south) front differs only in minor details from the extant elevation
drawings representing one of Wyatt's earliest known designs.
Aerodrome has been a
very active centre of private flying.It is used by aero clubs and private pilot
owners to base and operate single and twin engined light aircraft and
helicopters. In the late 1930s the
Aldenham estate was a country club. flying was smart and fashionable andthe Aerodrome started as a grass field to cater
for their needs together with a small hanger. Im thje Secojd World WaR a
concrete runway was laod plus more hangars and itr necame a base for Wellington
Bombers which were towed here from a factory in Watford amd assembled in the
hangar. After the war London Aero and Motor Services started a flying club and brough
fruit from Italy in Halifax Bombers – which stppped following an accident.
There were attempts to sert up othjer faciltioes whole the hangars
deteriprated. Eventuallyu a mamanger was appointd amd the flying clib
continued. A fluing schoo;, a droimkiong clun amd a customs post were set jup.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n