London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Mile post, plain iron
A rag stone villageCrockham
Hill is probably thevillage in the
valley with themost rag stone
buildings.The village, high on theGreensand ridge, has superbviews across the Weald and isa good starting point for walksin the surroundingcountryside.On the Greensandridge has many buildings oflocally quarried ragstone.
Crockham Hill became a little Edwardian literary
colony – all Fabians and Russian émigrés.Edward Garnett, Henry Salt, Ford Madox Ford, E.R.Pease, Stephen Crane,
E.V.Lucas and so on.
There is apleasant
little green, part-orchard, in the centre of the village,dedicated to Octavia Hill.
Heath House.Tall, gables
Holy Trinity, 1842.Parish only
formed 1845.Built of local sandstone.
Octavia Hill buried there, NT founder, 1895.Built by a warden of Squerries 'recently'
Cottage inhabited by Lucas a Lamb specialist sold to a US Quaker poet
In 1596 8 acres of ground sank for nearly two weeks
Lewins. Same style with gables
Holy Trinity church, which Charles Warde commissioned in 1842.He was the squire ofSquerryes Court.. All the blocks were cut tosize and
dressed in the yard.Marble effigy
of Octavia Hill next to the altar.Tocelebrate the centenary ofNational Trust in 1995, astained glass window desk;by Alfred Fisher has beeninstalled to commemorate herlife and work.Church Nestles into thehillside and
has beautiful viewsfrom the
churchyard.Pause to look
at the fine Workmanship on
thechurch with its evenly cut anddressed slabs of stone.
The stonemason who
built the churchlived at
Churchyard Octavia Hill, foundermember of the National Trustand pioneering socialreformer,
chose to spend herlater years in
Crockham Hill.She is buried in the churchyard.Octavia Hill, her grave is second to theright under the branches of a yew tree.
Co. set up by Robert
Wickes in 2004. He gave up a City job to do it with Canadian equipment. It is
in an old dairy and uses the same water supply as the defunct Black Eagle
Brewery used. Black Eagle Was taken over by Ind Coope in 1959 and closed in
1965.W. Churchill and Biggin Hill air aces liked it.Their yeast strains were taken to the
National Collection of Yeast Cultures and are being used by this new lot.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n