This post is not finished, checked or edited
1856 called after Greek hero.
Lord Chief Justice Alvanley. 1745-1864 Frognal Hall.
being started by the Central London Building Company Limited later that same year. Part of holly lodge estate. Eventually, in March 1923, the remainder of the estate, advertised as and subsequently always referred to as the Holly Lodge Estate, was sold for £45,000 and resold at the same price later that year to London Garden Suburbs Limited with the building of the first road of houses, on
H.W.Burgess of Avelick left two fields in 1833 - great is Really temple - also build Welch Road and Temple Road 1903 by his son.
Cannon India Dye merchant 1839. Royal dyer. Built Kidderpore hall. Road supposed to go from the house to West End. Cannon named it after himself. Hall is Westfield.
Kilburn stream flowed down the side of this to Kilburn
Dennington Park Road
Hampstead Synagogue,. 1892-1901 by Delissa Joseph. One of the largest synagogues in London, built for Hampstead's prosperous Jewish community. .
Is a 'pretty' name thought up by a builder called Hart. 1891 Platt's farm. Substantial houses 1895-1910 C.H.B.Quennel. With more designs of 1900-4
Built as a turnpike by the landowners in 1830s.
Synagogue built as chapel to Mabeys College.
290 Holly Lodge. Original house of the neighbourhood. St.John's
Baths - neo Tudor.
Parsifal College. London Regional Centre, Open University, since 1977. 1887 by M.P. Manning. Built for Hackney College, a training college for Nonconformist ministers; later amalgamated with New College, College Crescent, Finchley Road, when the rear parts, of 1934, were added by G.E. T. Laurence & Partners.
The Octagon is the former West Hampstead Congregational Chapel, founded by the college, of 1894 by Spalding & Cross, tall, Converted to flats in 1991.
Fortune Green Road
Fortune Green. Recorded thus in 1646, probably a complimentary name for a well-favoured place, with fortune in the sense 'luck, success, prosperity'. Managed by vestry of Hampstead. Rural feeling. In the 18th and 19th this was farmland owned by the Flitcrofts. Surrounded by small, more haphazard c19 houses, saved from development in 1897, although some houses before that.
Green. Bought by Hampstead Vestry when the Flitcrofts sold up in 1876. it is the largest open space in West Hampstead. The Jester Fair takes place every year.
128 an oddity flamboyant built for the monumental mason. Stucco and Graeco-Egyptian detail, of the kind that was favoured in cemeteries in the earlier c19.
Hampstead Cemetery. On the site of Golders Green Manor House. Has lodges and a pair of chapels linked by an arch. Built by Charles Bell, 1874-6 in Kentish rag. Also Mortuary chapels which are Listed Grade II and Chapels linked by a central porte cochere in Decorated Gothic style. The Anglican chapel is still in use and has Stained glass by J. Dudley Forsyth. The Grounds were laid out to a formal plan by J.F. Meston. Monuments include a large number of Celtic crosses of the type made popular from the 1890s by the sculptor G.C. Maile 1929, who is buried here. They include James Wilson 1906 with a massive Egyptian sarcophagus by Cramb, the monumental mason whose Egyptianizing premises remain opposite the cemetery. There is a Fine standing bronze figure by William Goscombejohn to his wife Marthe 1923. A more unusual monuments are is to Charles Ban of 1929 who is commemorated by a stone organ and also the Bianchi family commemorated by a colossal gateway with an Art Deco angel. Artistically, the most notable monument was to H.R. Fischer 1977 - a plain stone block incorporating a small but powerful bronze relief by Ernst Barlach showing three anguished figures – but this has been removed.
1905-20 by Hart and architect Quennel. Transition from Gothic eclecticism to neo-Georgian precursors. A pleasantly leafy road 1890 onwards
11 birthplace of Evelyn Waugh
Ingham was Secretary and manager of the British Standard Land Mortgage and Investment co. Ltd., which build all this. Company founded in 1885.
Westfield College became partly King's College. Built as Westfield College, which was founded as a women's college in 1882 in Maresfield Gardens, off Finchley Road, and moved to this site in 1889.
Spiro Institute Of Jewish History And Culture is the core of the college. the villa of 1840-3 built on the crest of the hill by T. Howard for John Teil, a retired merchant who traded in leather from Kidderpore near Calcutta. His house originally stood quite on its own in its gardens
Westfield additions by Falconer Macdonald, a pupil of J.J. Stevenson and Ernest George.
Maynard Wing with students' rooms, 1889-91,
library of 1903-4 front to Kidderpore Avenue,
Chapel is hidden away in the garden. by Harder & Rees, 1928-9. ,
Queen's Building, Verner Rees's cience block of 1957-62 .
Skeel Library mid 1960s Casson & Conder
Kidderpore Hall. Built in the mid 1960s by Casson & Conder. student residences in red brick, opening onto a paved terrace walk which runs parallel to Kidderpore Avenue.
Queen Mother's Hall by Casson & Conder 1981-2,
Summerhouse in the grounds, probably coeval with the c19 villa.
Sculpture. Crouching Arab woman by Enrico Astori, 1900, erected here 1971. La Fileuse Arabe. A marble of a woman spinning. Erected by the Physics Building
Drive to Cannon's house.
St Luke. An appropriate church for this turn-of-the-century area of houses for an affluent artistic community. Gothic furnishings inside. First World War memorial screens. 1897-9 by Basil Champneys.
12 Vicarage 1902-3 by Champneys,
14 dome and sculpture, Arthur Keen, 1901, built as a studio for G.H. Swinstet
Route of an old footpath.
Emmanuel church. 1897-8 by J.A. Thomas of Whitfield & Thomas, 1903.
Emmanuel School. teacher's house of 1874, brick schoolroom with Gothic plate-tracery windows, end wall rebuilt, originally of 1845, by Charles Miles of West End Hall, but enlarged and extended 1874 and 1892. In between is the former teacher's house of 1845, of stone, with mullioned windows, converted to a classroom in 1874
Oak Hill Avenue
Oak Hill Park
Laid out c. 1851. Two tall stucco mansions remain; the rest were replaced in the Second World War
Oak Hill Park Estate. Three towers and two lower blocks and single house 1961-5 by Michael Lyell assoc.
Tributary of Westbourne rising here and flowing down to Redlington Drive
Oak Hill Way
1882 year Parsifal was written.
Octagon of west Hampstead congregational church
Thomas Peel Platt. Translator of the Bible into Asian languages lived at Childs Hill and owned a farm.
8 Annesley Lodge. Voysey’s house built for his father who was an eccentric clergyman thrown out of the Church of England for preaching that hell does not exist.
Kidderpore reservoir water from Barrow Hill Pumping Station, West Middlesex Water Co. 1890 covered 2,500,000 galls but 325' above OD. 1868 built for North London and supplied Hendon by gravity.
Entry in Domesday Book. Worth 5/- married William I's old mistress.
1905-20 by Hart and architect Quennel. .
Stream from here joined streams from Hampstead going down to Kilburn. Westbourne down it and joined by two tributaries from Oak Hill and Telegraph Hill
6 Now flats, but built as the vicarage for the parish church, 1875-6 by T. K. Green
St. Luke's church. Decorated porch. Champneys.
West End Green.
West End Lane
So marked on Rocque's map of 1741-5, named from West End, earlier ‘Westende’ 1535, that is 'the western district of Hampstead', thus distinguished from North End. The hamlet of West End is marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822 and has now developed into the district of West Hampstead
Kilburn stream left here to the south and went across the Railway lands.
Fire station. 1901 very nice. Almost domestic style. L.C.C. architects department. A & C movement, 1797 house called Manor House and the Ferns.
St. James church Blomfield architect.