This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Cubitt 1830s. Runs north to ' the old village centre
Branch Library. 1960
Old St Mary’s Church. Small, homely, brick – still a village church. The building of the new parish church in the 1850s prevented a Victorian ‘restoration’. It had been rebuilt in 1563 by the Lord of the Manor, William Patten and is thus one of the few examples of an Elizabethan church - in fact London's only example. A north aisle was added in 1829 by Barry and destroyed in 1940, but restored in 1953 by C. M. Oldrid Scott. The Tudor south aisle is known as Queen Elizabeth's chapel. In the 1920s Barry's new spire was renewed and original brickwork revealed. The church still has its box pews and double galleries.
Churchyard. Alderman Pickett who did up the Strand is buried here. Interesting brick paving can be seen on the church path outside.
New St Mary’s Church. Built in 1858 by G.G.Scott on the site of the old rectory. A fine landmark but insensitive. It was intended to accommodate huge congregations drawn by a Victorian rector, Rev. Thomas Jackson. It has a prominent spire added in 1890 by Scott's son John Oldrid Scott, in Kentish rag and Doulting stone
Vicarage by G. G. Scott.
parish rooms planned 1995, by Rebecca Cadie & Gordon Fleming.
New River went through the park and back again to cross Paradise Bridge. When it reached Stoke Newington Church Street it and ran southwest alongside it the channel of which is obliterated. A short length of fencing, different from that on either side of it, seems to be the point at which the New River swung south towards Clissold Crescent, crossing under the road.
Church Street workshops
Town Hall. Opened in 1937 on the site of the old manor house. This was Stoke Newington Municipal by Reginald Truelove. Built as the Town Hall and Assembly on the site of an early c18 terrace. Mayor's parlour and committee rooms along the front, with some panelled folding doors. The result of limited competition over which Sir Edwin Lutyens presided. Especially the rooms and main offices away from the noise of Church Street. At the centre of the curve, the main or ceremonial entrance leads directly to a imperial stair and first floor council chamber whilst the flanking entrances at either end. Marked by pavilions, served the departmental offices on the ground floor.
assembly hall, designed principally for dances survives relatively unaltered with the same high quality interior decoration frequently exploiting materials from around the Empire. unaffected by the 20th century, attempt to get some Civic Centre atmosphere
Manton House part of L.C.C. Clissold Estate
Library, 1892 by Bridgman Goss, an early example of a borough library. Brick and stone, gable at each end. Extended at the rear in 1904 to provide a children’s library and lecture hall. War Memorial entrance hall added by AD. Pom, 1923. Bust of Defoe by Fran Ransome, from a model by Frampton.
Clissold - Named after the Revd Augustus Clissold who married, after much unpleasantness due to opposition of her father, the heiress of the Crawshay family, landowners in Stoke Newington in the 19th century. It was opened with its present name in 1889; on the Ordnance map of 1877 it is called ‘Newington Park’.
Clissold Park, laid out in 1889 and named after the Rev. Augustus Clissold (d.1882), was formerly Newington Park. Clissold was a Swedborgian curate of the 19th church of St.Mary’s. Crawshay tried to sell the park off for building - sold it to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners who sold it to be built on. Bought by Metropolitan Board of Works and opened by Lord Rosebery 24.7.89. Aviary. Library contains Chelms picture bequest. 53 acres. First park to have birds in it. House. Drinking fountain to Clissold. J.Beck and J.Reizz . A family park for north-Londoners, with two lakes and a duck pond, a children's zoo, tennis courts and other sports facilities and a café in the old brick mansion in the centre. rose garden to the south-east and seasonal planting around the cafe bring a splash of colour to the expanses of green. A flat area with plenty of trees, the lakes in the northern part made from Hackney Brook.
Clissold House notable villa of about 1830, known as Paradise House. It was built in 1790 for Jonathan Hoare of the Quaker banking family. Overlooking the lake. Next owner was Crawshay, iron-mining family. Listed Grade II*. looking across a stretch of the New River. It is named after Augustus Clissold. formerly Newington Park House, was built for Jonathan Hoare, a member of the well-known Quaker family, probably c. 1790, after he had acquired land in the area. Hoare was in financial difficulties by the late 1790s, and mortgaged the property in 1798. flat roof, originally of copper. With a projecting bow, is a curious oval garden room, entered from outside
New river. Crossing Green Lanes it entered Clissold Park by an old stone hut, which is still there, and crossed to the lake along an easily recognised route.
Hut stood beside the river -sluice house.
New River is now ornamental water. There are three bridges, and lakes called Beckmere and Reitzmere. The lake itself is clearly part of the New River as it coursed north-eastwards and turned south-east. The south arm of this horseshoe loop was closed when the river was stopped at Stoke Newington.
Leisure Centre replacing 1930s baths. By Hodder Associates, 1998. Steel framed, toplit, with glazed wings. It replaces baths by Hobden & Pom, 1930, which had an interesting arched concrete roof and 1920s memorial hall. Fell down and then rebuilt.
Stoke Newington School. was Clissold Park School. Like Sussex University. Forceful. Building of 1967-70 by Stillman & Eastwick-Field, R. Smorczewski, D. McCos, M. Plunkett.
Medieval road from Balls Pond Road to Enfield –goes from Newington Green to Bush Hill. Part of an ancient route from Shoreditch to Hertford via. Enfield. Connected a series of greens. Eastern boundary of Highbury Manor Drove road into London. inappropriate name of Green Lanes. Originally a mediaeval road from Ball's Pond to Enfield, this section forms the old eastern boundary of Highbury Manor and the parish of St Mary, Islington. Several early 19th-century houses survive in the road
New River went east across Green Lanes. Nothing of it remains to be seen, for after 1866 the Brownswood Park area was developed, and the river diverted in pipeline alongside Green Lanes
Stoke Newington Pumping station. Intermediate station for the raw water main built in 1955. It is 19 miles deep and links the Western Reservoirs with Coppermills. There is a siphon for initial flow and it goes north east from Hampton
Ring Main Shaft. The new London water ring main passes under this site at about 45 metres underground. Construction site and access shaft. The ring main connects to these shafts at a depth of 40m
Sculpture. 1959. ‘The Neighbours’ by Siefried Charoux Of cemented iron. Highbury Quadrant estate, 1954 London County Council housing. Early post-war housing by the LCC, 1954.
New River went east across Green Lanes
Highbury Quadrant School
Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church. 1954 by Hastie, Winch & Kelly. Portal-framed with stained glass by Clifford Rankin. It replaced John Sulman's Gothicchurch of 1880-2 octagonal schoolroom at the end, which, with other ancillary rooms, survives from Sulman's church; the schoolroom was galleried but is now two-storey.
Highbury Terrace, 1789. Houses are taller than in Highbury Place, built high and isolated. Local antiquaries said the western gradient was a Roman defence, but not so. Houses in the block at the end of the terrace were squatted for many years.
New River original course went along here
Lordship Estate South
1936 by Howes & Jackman, one of Stoke Newington's first big housing schemes.
Flats. L-shaped block of flats clad in dark blue, buttressing the United Reformed Church 1967-75 by Peter F. Smith, redevelopment of over-large church sites.
Grazebrook School. GLC 1970
continues as Manor Road, traversing the manor of Stoke Newington. Starts with ambitious houses at either end, their gaunt height relieved by some coloured brickwork, but has humbler two-storey terraces in between
Gate posts. This was once an exclusive suburb and the posts were topped with heraldic beasts. The griffin has long disappeared but a lion still stands guard. Manor Road
10 Politi and Sons. Turkish delight Manufacturers. Politi and Sons Ltd were well-known for the manufacture of Rabat Lacoum, British Manufacture Turkish Delight which was marketed in wooden drums with paper seals. They had a 1901 horizontal single-cylinder steam engine by Marshall Sons & Co Ltd of Gainsborough still at work c1978 there was also on standby an inverted vertical single-cylinder enclosed engine made about 1950 by W Sisson and Co Ltd of Gloucester. The engines were probably used to stir the Turkish-delight mix but it would also have been used for process purposes and there were boilers and a square-cross-section brick chimney built at the back of the works.. The yellow brick building of two storey, of two bays with double pitch roofs. The gables are decorated with the Star of David and on the eastern gable is the date 1911. In the centre of the façade at first floor level there is a loading loophole with a cathead. The red labelled boxes were a popular luxury at Christmas about 45 years ago. The powder, used to pack the Turkish Delight, was a mixture of cornflour and icing sugar. The Turkish Delight itself was of several flavours indicated by colour and the powder packing was to stop it fusing together into one great lump. An Politi wooden Rabat Lacoum drum measures just over five and a quarter inches in diameter across the lid and is overall about two and a quarter inches deep. It is marked one and a quarter pounds nett and cost nine shillings including purchase tax which the address London N16 on the lid of the drum. Turkish Delight was eaten with orange sticks or a wooden fork which were on top of the Turkish Delight when the drum was opened. David Politi was a persecuted Greek Jew who moved to England and started the manufacture of British Turkish Delight in 1872. Politi's seem to have gone out of business before 1987,.
United Reformed Church. 1969 – built for the Presbyterians.
Bunker. At the rear of Stoke Newington Town Hall. It's entrance is hidden between two buildings, one of them a portable two storey building that now stands on top of the bunker. The entrance consists of a small surface concrete blockhouse with a single door giving access to a stairway, which turns 90 degrees at the bottom into the bunker. This bunker was probably built in 1953 as part of the network of Emergency War Rooms and although some papers found in the bunker give it the designation Sub Control 42, Duncan Campbell lists it in War Plan UK as Control 51 B5 reporting to the North East Group War Room at Wanstead Flats. The entrance stairway enters the bunker one-third along the main east -west spine corridor which gives access to rooms on both sides. Starting with the north side of the corridor the first and largest room has 'Control & Information' on the door and on one wall there is a rectangular blackboard with painted heading 'Display board' and columns 'Date' and 'To be seen by ' In the east side wall there is a large sliding message passing window into the next room, there is also a separate doorway into the next room alongside. The purpose of this room is unclear but it too has a large sliding message passing window into the communications room beyond. This room has acoustic booths along two walls, which would have contained the links to the various agencies. Many of the wooden drawers still contain Civil Defence message pads and Evacuation Warrants. Several copies of 'Operational Orders for Civil Defence Exercises' have recently been removed for safekeeping. One of these orders contained a reference to Sub Group 42 and listed staff involved in the exercises. The final room on the north side is the plant room containing both the standby generator and the ventilation and filtration plant and electrical switchgear. The Ventilation plant is by Woods of Colchester. It consists of two fans, one connected directly to the fresh air inlet, which is fed through filters to ducting around the bunker. The outlet is adjacent to the entrance blockhouse. The generator is dated 1953. There are also two metal-framed bunk bends in the plant room (presumably not their original position). There is an original sign in the corridor outside the plant room which reads 'In case of fire in plant room 1 Put power switch painted red in off position wearing special gloves provided 2 Use Pyrebe PI Extinguisher and sand for electrical fires 3 Use Phomeni extinguisher and sand for oil fires'. On the south side of the spine corridor the rooms are from east to west: The dormitory, this still contains two metal framed bunk beds and at floor level alongside the entrance tunnel to the emergency escape shaft. The next room is the kitchen, which still contains a sink (now lying on the floor) and a water heater. There is a large opening at floor level into some pipe tunnels running the length of the bunker. The next room is the gent's toilet with two urinals, washbasin and a water heater and a WC in a cubicle, adjacent to this is the ladies toilet with washbasin, water heater and two WC's in cubicles. Beyond the toilets are the stairs up to the surface, a small room of unknown purpose with the final room being the teleprinter room. This still contains two teleprinter tables identical to those found at the Southall (North West Group Bunker) unlike Southall which just had GPO Teleprinter cases, the cases here have their teleprinters in them with heavy power supply unit on the floor under each table. There is also a rack mounted electrical cabinet labelled S + DX FM Telegraph System. Although this equipment is rather tatty it all appears to be complete and the council might be prepared to donate it to a relevant museum. The bunker has had new electrical lighting installed and is bone dry throughout. It is used to store redundant computer hardware pending disposal. Although the entrance design is similar to the WW2 bunker at Hackney it seems likely that this bunker was constructed post war although the blast protection at the entrance seems minimal with only a wooden door and there is even a ventilation hatch in the door at the bottom of the stairs. In the larger rooms brick pillars have recently been constructed to take the weight of the buildings above. All but one of the internal wooden doors have been removed.
St.Anne’s Home for the Elderly. For the Little Sisters of the Poor. Dauntingly large by Edward Goldie, Chapel and wing, 1878-9; the rest 1893-6.
Site of old Stoke Newington Vestry Hall. Formerly South Hornsey Local Board Offices. Demolished. Built in 1881 for what was then a detached area of Hornsey parish, this building was designed by the board surveyor F. Fry. It included his own official residence as well as the usual offices and board room It was demolished in the 1960s.
Queen Elizabeth Walk
Named because stopped there before she was queen. Line of a walk from the Manor House to the church
New River was known as the ‘Boarded River’ along here. Originally the New River crossed the valley by an embankment some 600 yards long, its south end where Wyatt Road now joins Riversdale Road. The Wyatt Road junction is where the Boarded River crossed the valley of the Whichbrook, which ran at the back of the Arsenal Tavern.
99-121 Back garden fences show the line of the New River on its old curved alignment