Telegraph Hill

Telegraph Hill, Southwark

(this post has been added without having been checked, or referenced - if I dont add these will never get it done!!) 





Ansdell Road

Arbuthnot Street

Astbury Road

Queen's Road arches. Private bus company there in the 1920s, the City Motor Bus Co., big and successful. HO, leased from LB&SC railway co 1922. 1871-1904 it had been stables for the London Tramways Co. The trams entered from the arches from the service road on the other side of the railway leaving the Queen's Road on a spur under the up platform of Queen's Road station. Still there in 1977 but the tram lines were covered with tarmac. There were also tram tracks inside the arches 110-111 where horse buses were repaired. In the yard opposite Astbury Road, stables for City Buses co was seen as one of the best of the private cos.
59 Chimes pub
said to have been originally part of the Liberator Estate. 

Besson Street
58 Fox and Hounds

Bousefield Street.

Briant Street (not on AZ)

Caulfield Road.

Dennett's Grove
Dennetts Road
69 Rising Sun. traditional Trueman’s interior, ornate mirrors.
87 Earl of Derby

Dolling Place (not on AZ)

Dundas Road.

Edith Road.
Erlanger Road
Hatcham Manor Estate, also known as the New Cross Estate, was built by the Haberdashers Company to a layout by their surveyor William Snooke between 1887, and 1900. The other north-south roads Erlanger Road and Waller Road were developed from the 1880s in predominantly Edwardian style. Because of the length of the principal roads and the lack of variety in house design, the overall effect can seem rather monotonous
Pond in the lower part of the road which is not now used.

Faulkner Place

Firbank Road.

Franklin's Grove (not on AZ)

Gellatly Road.
Gibbon Road
Nunhead Station. Opened 1st September 1871 by the London Chatham and Dover Railway. It lies Between Peckham Rye and Lewisham and also Crofton Park on South East Trains. The entrance is on the east side of Gibbon Road.  It was also called Nunhead Junction. It originally had two island platforms, with the centre road, being used by up trains and those terminating here – primarily the trains fron Greenwich Park trains. Routes to Crystal Palace, and the Catford Loop were added in 1892and ran south.  In 1925 the old station was closed and resited slightly west and rebuilt in red brick with a single island platform.  The original entrance was closed but could still be seen bricked up on the north side of the embankment,
Goods Yard on the up side, closed April 1962.
Rail line Nunhead Junction Signal Box.
66 Railway Tavern

Hatcham

Developed by Haberdashers' Company in nineteenth century. In 1614 the Company acquired the manor of Hatcham. In c1867-68 they built some large houses on the north side of New Cross Road. Developed the grounds. The Hatcham Manor Estate leading up to Telegraph Hill was their largest housing development. The Haberdashers’ property mark can be seen on many corner buildings throughout the area.  

                    ,
Hatcham Park Road
Preserves the name of the old manor of Hatcham, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816 and recorded earlier as ‘Hacheham’ in 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Hachesham’ 1234, ‘Hechesham’ 1247, that is 'homestead or enclosure of a man called Hascci', from Old English ‘ham’ or’ hamm ‘and an Old English personal name. The district once occupied by this manor is now New Cross Gate.
Was western part of Five Bells Lane. It ran immediately north of the first small station, likewise of the 4th lock.  The humped bridge crossed the canal.  The railway dealt with the lane by taking it underneath, giving it merely a width of 6' and height of 7’.  Developments at the station, possibly those at the time of the mid 1840s atmospheric era, saw the end of the lane as a through route.  Continues to the east as Batavia lane.
Look south along the railway line opposite the station, below the bridge parapet is site of lock 5 on the canal. The canal then diverged from the railway to the east side
Loco works established at New Cross because of the hill out of New Cross - also reason for use of atmospheric traction. The Entrance to the works had granite sett surface and a gatehouse. Curve fits fence on 1839 plan. The Octagonal engine house was demolished in 1950s. Rest went in the 1990s now under Sainsburys.
The Manor House of Hatcham was bought by the Haberdashers Company. It had Extensive grounds both sides of the canal and road. Moated. Rebuilt 1775.  In 1869, after the Hardcastle family had ceased to live there, they demolished, Hatcham House. It lay north of the railway works.
Haberdashers Estate on the site of the Manor House
Cage
Hatcham Park House. Hardcastle

Hatcham Terrace?

Hathway Street

Hollydale Road
115 Hollydales Pub

Kender Estate

Kender Grove 

Kender Place (not on AZ)


Kender Street
56 Hatcham Lodge. A substantial house, the doorway is flanked by fluted columns, and there are fine round-headed windows with masks at the rear. It was originally of 1827, but was altered and enlarged in 1858 for George England. George England was one of the country's pioneer locomotive builders. He founded Hatcham Iron Works in 1840 in Pomeroy Street behind the house; the works expanded into locomotive production in the 1850s and 1860s, and over 250 locomotives were made here. It became Fairlie Engine & Steam Carriage Co from 1869, but closed in 1872. Nothing now remains of the works; part of the site became General Engine & Boiler Co from 1872 and later Reliance Foundry, and part was Enos Fruit Salt Works from 1878 to 1940.
24/54 Georgina Terrace built for workers at England’s works. The Cabbage patch was north of this but not facing on the street. In 1862 it was a test track bed.  It is a fine group, probably built c1827, with steps leading up to the first floor.

Kitto Road
1 Holleran's Tavern


Lausanne Road
44 Swiss Tavern
Built as a grand access road to the cemetery at Nunhead
South East London   Synagogue', 

Lindo Street


Lubbock Street
Was Frederick Street. 


Lugard Road
Dairy of London's last cow keeper who was here until 1967,.John Jorden. The cows were two weeks here and then two weeks in the country.

Martha Place (not on AZ)

Martin's Place (not on AZ)

Mason's Court (not on AZ)

Mason's Grove (not on AZ)

Mona Road

Nettleton Road
New Cross

Kestner Evaporators since 1914 making machinery for syrup glue and gelatin, fruit juice coffer powder and chemical industries.
Roman urns in a garden 1735
Greyhound Stadium 

New Cross Gate.
New Cross Gate. Road island at the junction, which was the site of a tollgate from 1813 to 1865,
Toilet entrances have fine ironwork railings
Ventilating pipe of 1897 which doubled as a lamppost - it is a fluted column b Macfarlane’s Castings of Glasgow, with a most unusual vaguely Egyptian pattern based on a design by the famous Glasgow architect Alexander Thomson. This is not in as good condition as the one outside the New Cross Inn

New Cross Road
136/148, c1830, stuccoed above modern shop fronts. Minerva Terrace
153 Five Bells, a fine classical pub of 1841 with quoins and deep eaves. Five bells between the eaves brackets. Later extension. Ornate mirrors and heavy drapes.
Horse trough outside the pub. 19th
170/178 1838, with modern shop fronts.
182 Clutch Clinic was from 1909 to 1917 the Electric Empire Cinema previously was a horse dealer.  Car body works centre
182 Electric Empire Theatre.  Opened 1909
184 The White Hart, an 1898 rebuild of a mid 19th century pub.
197 a building c1910 with flora classical dressings, originally London & South Western Bank, now Barclays Bank
207/219, formerly known as Hatcham Terrace. It is a very fine tall terrace of 1841 with long rows of windows on the ground floor, and balcony railings to the first floor.
208 New Cross Bus Depot, occupies the site of a London County Council depot, the largest in London, opened 1906, and closed 1952.
210 Kingdom Hall, of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Classical building of 1957, Reconverted from the old South East London District Synagogue in the late 1980s. The first synagogue was established here in 1904. Bombed, perpetual fire did not go out.  Not rebuilt until 1956.
233 G.L.C. blue plaque: 'John Tallis, 1816-1876, publisher of London Street Views, lived here'; published 1838-40,
235 rebuilt after the war.
241 a Lewisham Council plaque: 'Sir Barnes Wallis, 1887-1979, pioneer of aircraft design, lived here 1892-1909'; he designed the Wellington bomber, and the bouncing bombs which destroyed the Mohne dam in 1943.
All Saints, 1869-71 by Newman & Billing. Kentish rag, with a large rose window. No tower.
Aske's Haberdashers' School for Girls. 1891 by Stock, Page & Stock. Quite a nice design with buttresses, plain gables. Queen Anne windows, and an asymmetrical turret with cupola, the style derived from Philip Webb

Toilets at Queens Road corner.  Triangle island site underground, vent pipe with gas lamps and fluted Egyptian designs.  Made by Macfarlanes of Glasgow and based on a design of Alexander Thompson of Glasgow.  Railings round the steps.  Closed and gone.
Nunhead
 Nunhead said to have been named from an inn. The Nun's Head  - ‘Nunhead’ 1680, ‘None Head’ c. 1745,  ‘Nonehead Hill’ 1789.’ Nun Head’ 1816. 17th-century inn here called The Nuns Head. According to local legend colourful but without factual basis, the inn itself was so named because a Mother Superior was beheaded here for opposing Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries.  The name may relate to ownership of land by Shoreditch nunnery of St.John the Baptist in the late 12th.
Nunhead cutting. Cut in 1860 now an embankment.

Pepys Road
Hatcham Manor Estate, also known as the New Cross Estate, was built by the Haberdashers Company to a layout by their surveyor William Snooke between 1887, and 1900. The first road to be developed was Pepys Road, with a pattern of houses in Gothic style to the north and Edwardian style to the south.
29 Ben Jacob barge building at Deptford and Mayor of Deptford 1908 buried at Nunhead
Church of St.Catherine, built 1893 by Henry Stock surveyor to the Haberdashers Company. Reroofed after war damage, and reordered in the 1960s for combined church and community use. The west end was incorporated into Telegraph Hill Neighbourhood Centre.
Vicarage is contemporary with the church, and is of interest as the a red brick house in a predominantly stock brick area
Aske's Haberdashers' School for Boys, Founded in 1688. From the new building at Shoreditch of 1825-6 the statue of Robert Aske in the forecourt by Croggon of Lambeth, 1836. The present building is of 1875 by W. Snooke, yellow and red brick, Gothic, symmetrical, on a corner site with fine views in all directions.

Queen’s Road
Queens Road Station. 1866. Between Peckham Rye and South Bermondsey on Southern Rail
Somerville Estate. An intimate and attractive estate of 1978, with groups of dark red brick houses forming an intricate pattern of irregular clusters, mostly behind a large adventure playground on the main road.
New Cross Fire Station, of 1894, an extraordinary extravaganza with steep conical roofs on rounded towers at either end, and a tall circular tower behind.
369 Hatcham Liberal Club, a fantastic building c1911, with an oriel window above the porch, and decorated stonework. The club was established Pere in 1880, the date on the facade.
164 The only English Heritage blue plaque in SE15 where Jamaican born Dr Harold Moody, founder of the influential League of Coloured Peoples in 1931, lived and had a surgery.
371/373 Queens Road, a fine pair c1840 with stuccoed ground floor cement.
387 an odd small building of 1893 with decorations
The Retreat, "The Marist Convent for Young Ladies", a Roman Catholic Boarding and Middle Class College. 

Pomeroy Street
Development work for Delta Metal 1894
125 Coach and Horses pub??

Power's Place (not on AZ)

Railline
The line to Lewisham Road from Nunhead was abandoned by an Act in 1929 and the line taken up.

Rose Cottages (not on AZ)

Rutt's Terrace

Selden Road

Senate Street.

Somerville Road (not on AZ)

Stanbury Road
St Mary's Road
Pioneer Health Centre. This health experiment was started at 142 Queen's Road in 1926  and purpose built here as the Pioneer Health Centre in 1934-5, by Sir Owen Williams with funding by Jack Donaldson. The place of a medico-social experiment, initiated by Doctors Scott Williams and Innes Pearse. The area was chosen because its population was a cross-section of income groups. The idea was that instead of medical services being for people who were sick, they should be available to everybody regardless of their state of health to detect disorders early and deal with them partly by altering environmental conditions. So the centre was a combination of club and clinic and designed to Scott Williams's requirements.  The centre provided a kindergarten, gymnasium, swimming pool, theatre, sports, etc. At The centre of the building was the swimming pool surrounded by cafes and other leisure facilities, the pool separated by glass walls. The only space shut off is the consultation block on the top floor. The Centre has a front with six out-curve bays all in concrete and glass. The Centre was converted to residential use having been used as an educational facility for a while as South London Doctors' Centre and Southwark Adult Education Institute.
Sassoon House.  block of flats Thompson & Fry, or rather Maxwell Fry, 1932
St Mary, 1961-2 by Robert Potter of Potter & Hare. One of the first new churches in London designed for the liturgical movement.  The church replaces a bombed building of 1839-41.

Horse trough junction with Evelina Road.  ‘Be kind and merciful to your animals’Gone.
St Mary's Church Hall, built 1890 


Telegraph Hill Park
Used to be called Plow Garlic Hill, used to pay double taxes to Kent & Surrey
Park, opened 1895, is in two parts. The southern section provides, from its highest point in the grassed centre, panoramic views over Central and West London. The northern section between Pepys Road and Erlanger Road, is larger but of less interest.
Fountain dedicated to Livesey, 9 1/2 acres. St Catherine’s Park, which was bought for George Livesey so that he could be looked up to. Project achieved with money from Greenwich Board of Works, London County Council, and Haberdashers Company. Ornamental lake & bandstand. Opened by Austin Arnold 6.9.95. Of London County Council.
Telegraph system using frame with large removal shutters working from end of 1796 until 1814 peace with France. 1816 another sort tried of single high mast with two arms set to different positions and better visibility. 1820 French Chappe type used with a mast and rotating pointers
Admiralty telegraph 1795. Wooden huts. Nothing built in area until 1873. Ground opened in 1875.
James Martin and Sons Dairymen

Reservoir Kent Water Co. built 1874. 160' above OD. 1,7500,00 gall. Can be seen as a mound in the top part of the park.
Waller Road
Hatcham Manor Estate, also known as the New Cross Estate, was built by the Haberdashers Company to a layout by their surveyor William Snooke between 1887, and 1900. The other north-south roads Erlanger Road and Waller Road were developed from the 1880s in predominantly Edwardian style. Because of the length of the principal roads and the lack of variety in house design, the overall effect can seem rather monotonous
Edmund Waller School. handsome London School Board building of 1887 in Queen Anne style, and a second building of 1899 to the south. GLC building 1872
Fire Station, a very fine building fronting the Queen's Road. 

Washam Road

Wellington Road.

York Road?
communal garden, around two squares by Peter Moro

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone