London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
(this post has been added without having been checked, or referenced - if I dont add these will never get it done!!)
Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne continues
to flow north and slightly west.
Was there a summerhouse on Church Hill?
Browning's corner.Site of the shop of a sausage making butcher
who did not pay rates because he was a non-conformist
The area around Blythe and Swan Hills has several springs which feed down
to the Ravensbourne.
Pest House Field was between
Beckenham Lane and Park End.The Pest
House itself was in the south east corner.
Pixfield; or Pitts Field.This is now the field for the Valley School.;
Pixfield was also the name
of a house.On the corner of Farnaby Road.It is said to have had inside panels from the
Bromley Hill Place lodge
stood opposite Pixfield.
Frogs Swam – name of the area
between Pixfield and Bromley Hill Place
Valley Primary School.It was built by Bromley School Board and opened in 1891. The Board
had held an architectural competition in which was won bt1888/9 to select a
suitable design. A design submitted under the name 'Bromley' was subsequently
approved. It was by Evelyn Arthur Hellicar and Sydney Vacher. The school was
built on land belonging to Pixfield, whose owner made conditions which dictated
the basic form of the school.
Footpath to Deadmen's
Ravensbourne Bridge.Site of a mill dam there at Domesday.
Alley way with tiny
padlocked All Saints Mission
disused church hall-cum-chapel
survived until about 1982
2 new houses on site of
Area between Beckenham Lane
and London Road.This was a small
country estate which belonged to the Blyth family 1769.Developed in the late 19th until
1913 and the name has been taken for the whole area.
Mr.Farwig. came from
Newington Causeway metal working company
Beech Tree pub..Nursery site and home of very
old beech tree which was a favourite of Paxton.the tree was taken to Crystal Palace whole.Pub rebuilt after bombing.
Head office of Russell and
Bromley Shoe Co.
Gas Works, opened by Mr.
Farwig, it became the gas works for the whole area.
Mill dam on the river.This was a very big pond.
The mill has disappeared but the extensive mill pond
remains.Mill in Domesday Book.Initially it would have
ground corn but in 1449 Lord Saye purchased the mill to
produce paper.In 1811 it belonged to
Messrs. Fentham of the Strand, London, and was used to polish mirrors and
used for grinding and polishing concave and convex mirrors from one to five
feet diameter by Thomas Ribright, optician in the Poultry, London.
Newton.Tile-hanging above brick. Big
half-timbered porch bay with caryatids
framing the first-floor window.
5 was built
as the stables.
Harcourt House.Built in
what was originally the Bromley Hill Estate, as a family home in 1870 by local
architect W.A. Williams.It was
originally named "The Glade,” and used as a school 1908 -1940, known as
"The Glade Garden School" and then "Harcourt House School,
Highland and Grasmere.”During the
Second World War it was used as offices for the Red Cross.Listed.Freda’s Garden.
The Swan & Mitre.An old coaching inn
which was popular with carters carrying farm produce and fish on their way to
London markets.It dates from the early
19th although part of the stables is 18th. Inside is seating from
Old Gaiety Theatre in London and ornate mirrors presented by Marie Lloyd.In 1855 a large pile of crutches was found
here, left by patients cured by the surgeon James Scott.
Entrance lodge to Bromley
Christ Church.Built for Samuel Cawston in 1887 using the
same architect, W.A.Williams, as the houses of the
Bromley Hill estate in the Early English style
28 Bromley Reform Synagogue
Parish gravel pit on the
west side. In 1929 became Tranquil Place farm cottages
Salubrious Range .Laurel
Inn houses. East side just north of the Beech Tree.
Park End was the site of a windmill.
Moved 400 yards in 1768 and gone by 1845 opposite the Beech Tree
Bromley Central Methodist church (1965) Gone
50 Lygon House
Lauriston House 1883/1896
lived Joseph Swan of the electric light.
Bromley College.Lies behind red brick walls and 18th iron gates with a bishop's mitre. John Warner was
one of only eight Bishops to survive until the restoration of the Stuart
Monarchy in 1660 and when he died in 1666 he left £8,500 for the foundation of
a College or almshouse for'twenty poore
widowes of Orthodoxe and Loyalle clergymen'. It was built 1670-72 to the design
of Captain Richard Ryder, a Master Surveyor who had worked with Wren. Although
the style is associated with Christopher
Wren it had developed before the Civil War and was a speciality of masons,
bricklayers of the City of London both before and after the Great Fire. The
College has 20 house around a quadrangle - a paved walk within has a lean-to roof onDoric
columns of stone plus a large stone archway to the
courtyard facing London Road with houses for the treasurer and chaplain on either
side. There is speculation that the columns are those recovered from Gresham’s
Royal Exchange. At the end of the 18th a second courtyard was added by Thomas Hardwick. For twenty more widows but using wooden columns. The
college now accommodates retired clergymen and their wives. The original widows had two rooms on the ground floor, two bedrooms, and a semi-basement
kitchen and was expected to be attended by a resident servant and,a spinster daughter.
Chapel between the two quadrangles of red brick. Windows by Waring & Blake, 1863. The
original chapel had to be enlarged this is the replacement.
Shepherd's College.House for spinster daughters when their
mothers had died.Will of Mr. Benetson
Motorworks - James Young
has bought the coach building firm of J.K.Hunter in 1863, makers of the
‘Bromley Brougham’.Their first motor
body was built in 1908 for Orpington MP, Smithers.Made aeroplane parts in two world wars.From 1921 they made bodies for Bentley cars
as well as Alfa Romeo, Sunbeam and Rolls-Royce.James Young also fitted some cars including Talbot and Sunbeam.In 1937 they were bought by London
Rolls-Royce dealer Jack Barclay.They stopped coach building in
1967 but continued with body work until 1979.Factory later used as a snooker hall.Factory building still there 2009.
31/33 Carn Brae and Holmby
House became the Lady Margaret Hospital, which was fruitarian.Founded 1903 by Josiah Oldfield with no
infectious admittances.No proper
training accreditation although they pretended there was.Was offered to the War Office
especially for Indian soldiers in 1914.Some
Belgians accommodated c. 1915.Closed 1920.
The land formed part of an estate owned by the Bishops of
Rochester.Coles Child became Lord of
the Manor in the mid 19th and following the sale of some land
residents became concerned about preserving the hillside.The Local Board bought Martin's Hill for
£2,500 in 1878.
Hop Field.The lower slopes were
where hops were grown successfully. The
produce formed part of the Palace crop which was so heavy it often needed month
to pick.In 1872 the first hops to
arrive at the London Hop Exchange came from gardens at Bromley Palace, the
fifth successive year that Coles Child's hops were first at the market.
which included the Hop Field, was purchased for the public on Queen Victoria's
Golden Jubilee in 1887, and given the name Queen's Mead.
Obelisk War.Memorial at junction of Glassmill Lane and Church Road.1922. On land
adjacent to Martins Hill Recreation Ground.The white stone obelisk and the base feature magnificent life-size
bronze figures.The memorial was
unveiled on 29th October 1922 by General Lord Home GCB, KCMG.
house.This was on the site next to the supermarket.The disused station lasted
well after the Second World War.The
tiny station had a single arched stall for the engine. After it had been merged into a bigger service, the building, named
The Old Fire Station; became a private house.
Kerbs painted alternate red
and blue for 1977 Jubilee
Mitre Hill stream in the
garden of Mill Vale
Recreation ground.In the corner was a footpath to Pickhurst
Green; footbridge over railway to a meadow with another gravel pit with more
river gravel.before the mid-1950s
it was used for events andUntil about
1953 there were funfairs, with roundabouts, chairoplanes and boat swings, a few driven by steam.
Ford over Ravensbourne
until 1764; part of old bridge in new building
Queens Mead Road
Brick building.In a narrow alleyway
which was once All Saints Mission.A
leaning iron chimney poked from the roof, serving an
The Ravensbourne Flood Prevention Act was implemented
following the disastrous floods of September 1968.Thirty- six hours of torrential rain caused
hundreds of houses to be filled with deep water.Since then the Ravensbourne has been widened,
deepened, culverted and canalised most of the way from its source at Keston to
Deptford where it flows into the Thames.
Marked with this name on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876,
which refers to the 18th Shortlands House which later became a
school, originally it was a field name meaning 'short strips of land in common
Shortlands golf course
Station. 3rd May
1858.Between Bromley South and
Beckenham Junction and also Ravensbourne on South Eastern Trains.Built by the West End of London and
Crystal Palace Railway opened as ‘Bromley’. Extended to Bickly 5th July. Was
called ‘New Bromley’ originally.The
line from Beckenham went to Pimlico, then line to Bickley, tried to get LBSCR
to Bromley.In 1885 it was
renamed ‘Shortlands’.In 1889, the line came in from Nunhead. There was a post office in the original building and the forecourt was enclosed with big gates. Gas lamps with the station name in ground glass.
Gas lamp sewer vent pipe
cast iron 1860s
Station masters house isolated from the main station.
Laundry.Almost facing the
waterworks across the railway from the corner of Station Road and Martins Road.Chimney removed.Low
down on the main wall in Station Road was a small square of filled-in
brickwork, distinguishable as some sort of former window. In steam days it was
filled not by glass but by a wooden hatch which was usually open during working
hours.The building was later occupied by
a clothing factory and a motor workshop.
Pumping Station.Well of the Kent Water Works which
housed a Cornish engine beam.In 1867 it
belonged to the Southwark & Vauxhall Water Co. then Metropolitan Water
Board in 1910.Water from Honor Oak is pumped
to it.It was rebuilt 1935, with new
machinery and additional well.The pump
house 1860s, in rock-faced ragstone.Now all housing.
Kingswood House.Old people's homes 1963, near the station on a sloping site.Comfortably by
Clifford Culpin & Partners,
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n