Sunday, 5 May 2013

Tykes Water Radlett

Tykes Water
Tykes Water flows north westwards
The Brook, a tributary to Tykes Water flows north westwards

Post to the south Radlett
Post to the east Shenley
Post to the west Radlett
Post to the north Harper Lane

Malt Lane
This is surviving field path

Railway
Coal post on the west side of the railway embankment at the back of 2 Marble Arch Cottages. These posts were set up to mark the boundaries past which tax on coal and wine was due to the City of London. It dates from 1861 and was cast by H.Grissell of Regents Canal Ironworks.

Watling Street
Coal post on the west side of the road immediately alongside 24 on the corner with Malt Lane.
Radlett United Synagogue. This was set up in 1981 and the community purchased Radlett Village Hall in 1995 as a Elstree Synagogue
Fire Station. Radlett Fire Brigade was established in 1905 as a volunteer force. In 1906 local businessman Charles Part donated a land in Watling Street for a Fire Station. The service continued to be operated by volunteers and funded by residents until 1947/8 when it transferred to the County Council without compensation. It closed in 2006. The site has been sold to a housing association for flats and local decisions overridden by the Planning Inspectorate.
High Bridge. Watling Street Bridge over Tykes Water with a footbridge alongside. It seems to date from the 16th and may have been built by Ralph Coningsby or by the local hundred authorities. This was a wooden bridge and in 1745 it was replaced in brick
High Bridge Estate. New housing on the site of 'The Houseboat' . this was a roadhouse opened in July 1935 and standing in five acres of grounds. It was designed on the lines of a house boat, and included a large restaurant and a boating lake. It later became a factory for British Physical Laboratory specialising in measurement instrument.
Coal post on the east side of the road north of The Avenue, in front of 2 Marble Arch Cottages. It lies alongside the crossing point of The Brook under Watling Street
Liberty Boundary. This refers to the Liberty granted to the Abbey of St. Albans and partly involved with the upkeep Watling Street. There was a long dispute as to whether Aldenham was part of this Liberty or not.
Marble Arch Cottages – these cottages lie near the boundary of the liberty and the boundary of the City of London’s coal tax area. Watling Street – as the A5 - has reached this point from its start at Marble Arch

Sources
British History online. Aldenham. Web site
Coaldutyposts. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Hertsmere Council. Web site
Radlett United Synagogue. Web site

No comments: