Tykes Water - Cobden Hill
Tykes Water flows north-eastwards
TQ 16655 98874
Area of posh houses on the sites of old gravel and sand quarries along with houses and some facilities on the old main road
Post to the south Slades Farm
Post to the north Radlett
Post to the east Kendal Hall
This area of extremely expensive housing is built in an area once extensively quarried for sand and gravel –sites of several pits are present.
29A Private house. Designed in 1962-45 by George Marsh for himself and his family. Marsh was a partner of Richard Seifert and design architect of Centre Point. It has a timber hyperbolic parabolic roof on a light steel frame, with concrete floors on a basement box frame. Reinforced concrete buttresses, and dark brick and rough stone infilling. Outside dominated by roofs, and casement windows, of teak and cedar. There is a projecting timber canopy with `29a' in period lettering. Inside is a wide variety of materials - spiral staircase in timber and steel, screen of Swedish glass samples, floors of Carrara marble pieces, timber ceilings, and a wall of broken York paving slabs. The house demonstrates 1960s' idioms and materials and is a one-off design.
Loom Farm. The farm stood south of Loom Lane.
Roman kilns. In 1898 two Roman kilns were discovered in a sandpit here. The pottery was of the common Romano-British type, but the name of the potter, was Castus
This is the site of a former quarry, possibly associated with a nearby brick works. It is now expensive housing, one of which replaces a warehouse.
Cobden Hill Dell. This is woodland around a quarry. It is owned by a cement company and is fenced over the steep bank into the quarry
King George’s Playing Fields. – this comprises the Rose Field, Tabard Rugby Club, Radlett Cricket Club’s second ground, Salters Field, Wellhouse Dell, the Picnic Field
Rose Field. This is an old allotments area, now used for picnics and barbecues
Salters Field. Scrubland but in public use
Little Kendals Farm. Barn and cowhouse these are 18th timber-framed and weather boarded
The Cat and the Fiddle. This was an 18th house which has been a pub since 1878 but it is claimed that before 1805 it was called ‘le chat fiddel ‘. It is rendered brick with some timber framing. The public bar was added in the 1970s when it had a collection of china cats. There is a garden and patio with a serving hatch through which drinks are served. The pub sign shows all the players in the traditional nursery rhyme
Brickworks. Kendals Brick and Lime Co. This was near Moses Dell and has been set up by Mr. Phillimore of Kendals Hall. They had offices in Station Approach and closed in 1919.
Cobden Hill Farmhouse was probably built circa 1800
65 Chantry Cottage, built 1780 possibly on the site of a chantry chapel dating to the early 16th century
10 The Bakery, is thought to date to the 1830s
57 Cobden Hill Farm or Cobden Hall is the oldest site of substantial buildings in the conservation area. The existing Farmhouse was probably built c1800. Until they were demolished c.1900 – 1910, at least four farm buildings forming a three sided farmyard (typically barns, stables, cart sheds, cowsheds or dairy buildings) stood opposite this farmhouse where the white rendered, detached house is currently. When the farm became less economical at the turn of the 20th century a small laundry started at the rear of the farm buildings - washing laundry and ironing with a drying ground. This is understood to have been in the existing single/1&1/2 storey building with steeply pitched roofs. The farmhouse was at this time reported as becoming the laundry manager’s home. All of this group are therefore of significance to the conservation area.
Cobden Hill House. A late 19th cottage
British History Online. Hertfordshire. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Hertfordshire CAMRA. Web site;
Hertsmere Council. Web site
Middlesex County Cricket Club. Web site
Tabard Rugby Club. Web site