The Ver flows south and south west
Post to the east Hedges Farm
Post to the south How Wood
Lane is the spelling on the 1870s OS
in the lane in 1899
Burydell Lane Allotment Site is a green space which has
an active tenants group in the Burydell Allotment Association
Cottage. This is a 17th timber framed house which has been divided, but is now
one property. On one side is built of brown and blue mixed brick with a weather
boarded ground floor from the 18th. There is a chimney with a brick bake-oven
which has ingle fire-place inside. The cottage is
surrounded by a low flint wall
Terrace of five cottages which replaced three thatched
cottages in 1846.
Watercress beds were established here in the late
Village Green leased for watercress beds in the
Park Street was part of the land given by Offa to
St. Albans monastery in 793
building which has been part of larger building, the rest was demolished.
It is Red brick, with blue headers
61-63 this was originally a single early-15th late
medieval hall house with a parlour added in the 16th
- 67 17th timber framed buildings.
68 a16th timber framed building with remains of a
42 The Swan 19th pub. Closed in 2008 and
turned into housing,
Red brick terraces were built on Cooks Field and
the mill gardens in the late 19th.
Street Village Hall
St Julian’s Wood
Owned by St Albans Council
St. Albans Corporation sewage works. This was built in
the 1890s on land which had previously been irrigated with sewage. In 1893 three tanks and
sludge-pressing plant were installed and ten years later treatments beds were
dug followed by a system of septic tanks. By 1911 they had had to be rebuilt
again. This consisted of a sedimentation
tank and the resulting sludge being dug into trenches. The effluent was then
filtered and finally passed into the Ver. It was later closed and used as a
Park Street Station.
The station lies between St. Albans Abbey and How Wood on London Overground
Line to Euston via Watford Junction. This
dates from the 1890s replacing an earlier station on a different site to the south
original station opened with the line then closed within a few months. It
was built by the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway, as “Park Street and Frogmore”. In the 1890s it was reopened and resited here, near the Watling Street
crossing. A station and station house were built in 1890 but the station was demolished and rebuilt in 1959.
Station Terrace on the west side of Park Street was built on Fallow Field in 1913.
Railway Bridge - The London North
Western Railway Company Watford to St Albans line (1858) crosses over the
Watling Street on a high embankment. The original brick bridge has been replaced by a steel one.
British Listed Buildings Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Rushden Echo. Web site
St. Albans City Council. Web site