Water flows north westwards
Post to the south Cobden Hill
Post to the east Newberries
Post to the north Radlett
out following sales of land by the Kendal’s Estate in 1898
61 A cavity appeared in a garden in early January
1977. This turned out to be an old bottle-shaped
chalk well and apparently this is a common shape in the County.
Radlett Centre. Theatre and community venue founded in
1996 and owned by the local authority
1- 4 Primrose Cottages. 18th red brick cottages.
the site of Darnell’s Farm.
Barn survives at Darnell’s Farm; it is a listed
building converted into a house. 17th Timber framed and weather
out following sales of land by the Kendal’s Estate in 1898
of Padua. Roman Catholic Church built in 1910.
2 Radlett Youth Centre, The youth centre is in the
a girls' school opened in a building at the foot of Loom Lane in 1878. It was
financed by the Platt Charity of the Brewers Company and used as a school until
at least the 1940s.
Cottage. Built in the 1870s it is said to have previously stood in Theobald
Street but was re-erected here and named Church Cottage. It is thought to have
been the temporary home of the first Vicar of Radlett, after Christ Church was built
in the mid 1860s.
pair of semi-detached cottages built around 1885. They were later
converted to a children’s home by The Furniture Trades Benevolent Association
and named ‘The Furniture Trades Orphanage’.
Masonic Hall. This was added to the rear of the children’s homes to provide
Scrubbitts Park Road
Scout Hut. Kent Lodge. This is a nursery school
Woodland Lodge. Girl Guides HQ
Kendals Estate Office was set up here from the late
1890s to deal with land sales, etc.
Kendals’ owner, Phillimore had a block of low rent
flats built for agricultural and railway workers. Demolished in the 1970s and
replaced housing association flats
This is a naturally wooded area on sloping ground,
with a number of mature trees and footpath but it is now divided by Scrubbitts
Park Road in the early twentieth century.
Radlett Station. Opened in 1868 on land between
St.Albans and Elstree and Borehamwood on the Thameslink Line – and the Midland
Main Line. However InterCity services run through and do
not stop. The station was built by the Midland Railway on its extension to St. Pancras.
The original intention had been to call it Aldenham and originally Radlett was used only as a distribution point for goods and passengers into the
surrounding rural areas. This was unaccompanied luggage for house parties at
local mansions and boarding schools. There was also a trade in gravel, clay and
chalk from the many local mineral workings. The station complex was completely
replaced in the 1980s
Builders’ merchant set up in 1894 and later bought
by Phillimore of Kendal’s Hall a Kendal’s Brick and Lime Co.
Flint Cottages these were once houses but they are now
offices and the block extends round the corner from Watling Street. They were
originally a symmetrical pair in knapped flint with brick dressings. They were built in 1852 by Phillimore to replace earlier derelict cottages known
as ‘The Barracks’
Flint House – a blacksmith’s shop was established
in the yard of the detached flint house next to the Flint Cottages in the 1860s
Road Methodist Church. This originated in 1903 as an
iron and wood Methodist Chapel. The current red brick church United Free Church
was built in 1938
Radlett Motor Centre. Modern movement garage.
and Bushey Reform Synagogue. This originated as a Congregational Church built in 1905 and replaced in 1930 as a United
Church with St. Johns. This is a building of knapped
flint and stone banded with red brick, erected by T.Smith and Son, on land donated by Captain W B Phillimore of Kendal Hall. It was
1907 by Oldrid Scott in 1864. It has a central tower
crowned with an octagonal spire, containing eight tubular bells. A new nave and
chancel were added in 1907.
Memorial. Dates from 1919 in Portland stone. It has a cross and ball on a plain
capital. On the front is ‘'The men of Radlett who died for their country' with
dates '1914' and '1918' there is also
'Awake remembrance of these valiant dead. Henry V' and names of dead on
The Terrace. These were built as cottages converted
to shops in 1906, with front gardens replaced by tarmac down to the road
78-80 Red Lion.
The original Red Lion public house was
demolished in 1905 and the current Red Lion Hotel built on the same site. It is
said to have originally been a Temperance
establishment. It has a distinct architectural style, constructed
of brick with roughcast render and large prominent
253-255 these were once houses but they are now
offices. On the porches is written '1852 GRANSBY' . They are in knapped flint
with brick dressings. The block goes round the corner in Station Approach
shops converted from housing in knapped flint
Prezzo Restaurant. This was once the Cross Keys Inn
and later the Railway Inn with a smithy behind it.
Barclays. The first shop to be built in Radlett
village stood on the site of the present Barclays Bank and was erected towards
the end of 1883 by Charles Part and was known as Radlett Industrial Societies
Limited. There was a social club for local people above the shop. In 1898 a
bank was established on the premises.
Oak Chambers. Now in use as offices with a large garage at the back in use by a vet. Appears to have been purpose built for specialist use in the 1930s
Recreation Ground – this was set up by Charles Part
next to his co-operative store and social club,
Watling Street Cemetery
Radlett Tennis and Squash Club. The Club was founded
as Radlett Lawn Tennis Club in 1913 and in 1977 joined up with Radlett Squash
Club, who had used courts in an old barn in Watford Road. The clubhouse was built
in 1913 but has been extended.
The Railway Bar. This pub was previously known as
Sewage pumping station. near the railway 1919.
Radlett Village Institute. This is an Arts and Crafts community building from the 1920s. It is the base of the
Radlett Men’s Club, which is open daily and is used as a by the Workers’
Educational Association etc,
Hill Infant School. This was set up in 1902 and closed in about 1980 and is now a private nursery called 'Radlett Nursery
and Infant School'
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Chelsea Speleological Society
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names,
Hertsmere Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire
Radlett Reform Synagogue. Web site
Radlett Society. Web site
Radlett Tennis and Squash Club. Web
St. Anthony of Padua. Web site.
Walford. Village London