Friday, 31 May 2013

River Colne - Bricket Wood

River Colne
The Colne flows south west and south
TL 13212 01854

Urban commuter housing surrounded by woods and fields. The railway line from Kings Cross runs through the area as does the M1. The M25 is a short distance to the north,

Post to the east Drop Lane
Post to the south Munden Estate
Post to the north Bricket Wood

Bricket Wood Common
The Common is an important example of lowland heath. It has a range of habitats including ancient semi-natural woodland, hornbeam coppice woodland, wet lowland heath/acid grassland, ponds and seasonal streams. It supports an array of wildlife including great crested newts, butterflies, heather, fungi, blue bells and Heath Spotted Orchids. It is managed by St Albans City and District Council. The Common has been a Site of Special Scientific Interest since 1953. This was because the boulder clay soil and a history of grazing, wood cutting and burning had produced areas of lowland heath. The Earl of Essex used it for hunting and there is a ditch and bank dug in 1750 which marks the boundary between his land and the Manor of Garston. Part of the site is ancient oak/hornbeam woodland but much has regenerated from the former open, wet, acidic heath to scrub woodland, including birch and oak.  Significant areas of hornbeam coppice have developed into a series of forms. .
Jack Williams Wood
New Plantation

Mount Pleasant Lane
Railway Bridge

Nottlers Wood
This is ancient woodland

School Lane
Tally Ho corner is the area at the start of the lane so named because the master of the foxhounds kept the dogs nearby

Station Road
Fox and Hounds. Pub, closed 2010, and is now housing

Sources
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
St.Albans City Council. Web. site

No comments: