Ver flows southwards
TL 15706 02178
Interesting area in a village south of St. Albans. There is the site of an early aircraft factory, water mill remains and some Second World War defence structures
Post to the west Smug Oak Lane
Post to the north Radlett Aerodrome
Post to the south Netherwylde
Post to the east Springfield Farm
after the factory which was on site
Lane is now divided into two by the M25 with the southern section now a private
road to the Premier Inn.
northern section leads to areas used for processing aggregate. This includes
some hard standing
Mill. The mill site is probably that listed at Domesday and to which there are
Moor Mill House and Mill. These are in a
single range together. The mill house dates from around 1700 and the mill is 19th.
Mill has a painted brick ground floor and weather boarded upper floor and 4
stable doors. There is a sack hoist above the doors, and above is a hoisting bay.
The whole complex is now part of a Premier Inn Motel and Beefeater pub.
lane runs through Ventura Park trading estate, previously part of the Handley
Page factory complex.
plaque. Alongside the road is a memorial plaque to the Handley Page factory and
to the aircraft made there.
Parkbury Farmhouse. The building is 15-16th but refronted in the 19th.
It has a timber frame
Alongside the river in this area there
was much modification for watercress beds. Later these sites were used for
gravel extraction and work on aggregates. Many pits created by this work were
subsequently used for landfill with domestic and other waste.
In the 1950s the road was narrow for most of the way
to St. Albans, though portions of it were being considerably widened.
107 Hailam Veterinary clinic. This was the Red Cow.
Frogmore Lodge. This was the lodge to Frogmore House allegedly demolished for Lady Yule because she didn't want a grand house nearby to rival hers. This is now Winslo Lodge and Winslo Stables.
Colney Street Farm. There is a collapsed pillbox in
the fields behind the farm, and slightly to the north.
218 George and Dragon. 17th pub with a
timber frame and plastered front closed and now a private
The old school house. 19th school which
became Coleny Street infants school on he site of security house
Forge Cottages – four red brick cottages with the name
in the frint and also “BAC 1903’. There was a smithy on this site in the mid
Parkbury Lodge. This is now under the trading estate.
Handley Page complex now a trading estate – with a roadway down from end of runway
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Colney Street. Wikipedia Web site
Premier Inn. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire