This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
‘Hegeton’ in the 14th – the manor enclosed by the hedge. ‘Hegeton’ 1348, ‘Heggestone’ 1367, ‘Heggeton’ 1398, ‘Hedston’ 1754, probably 'farmstead enclosed by a hedge', from Old English. The unhistorical spellings with He(a)d- do not make their appearance until the late 17th century. The original name no doubt refers to Headstone Manor a moated manor house partly dating from the 14th and referred to on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822 as Headstone Farm; it is now the Harrow Museum and Heritage Centre.
Kodak Museum 1927, originally Kodak factory of 1891
Headstone Manor. Middlesex residence of the Archbishop's of Canterbury 1307-1546. Beckett stayed there. Wolsey lived here. Confiscated by the Crown in 1546 and sold on the same week. 14th . Roof original. Headwaters of the Yeading in the moat. Only one bay left. Used for functions and recreation. Restored with two storey frontage. Brick moat and ducks. Remodelled in the 17th - old bricks with 1501 on them. Used as a farm until 1923 and then left to rot. Only example of an aisled hall left in London. Oldest timber framed building in Middlesex.
Barn, 1533 barn rebuilt 1973. Local History Museum with a ceramic collection. Built for the Manor Farm.
Racecourse in use until 1899 and closed following a riot.