Hendon Town Hall
This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Plans for an 18 hole golf course. Grahame-White used golf architect Dr. Alister Mackenzie to design the golf course In 1920 the name was changed to the London Country Club, Unfortunately in 1922 the Northern Line extension went though the planned golf course which meant it has to be compressing between the railway line and Aerodrome Road. In 1925 Grahame-White was forced to close the London Country Club, and the clubhouse. the tennis courts and polo grounds had been closed, but the golf course was kept open. It had closed by 1930
Cluster of shops at the junction with Brent Street
Houses existed by 1896
Houses built in the 18th.
Church End Farm turned into a model farm 1889 by Wimperis Arber for C.F. Hancock of Hendon Hall.
Milking parlour a low brick range with crested ridge, at right angles to the road. The hay loft at the North end is quaintly apse-shaped, with a finial.
Adjoining house. Also part of the farm, in a picturesque Norman Shaw style, tile-hung and half-timbered.
Church farmhouse, bought by and restored by Hendon council in 1944 –1954. Built around 1660. Now a museum and it is a survival from rural Hendon. Chiefly c17, with red brick three-bay front of two storeys and original dormer windows. Behind it is a c18 service wing which was later heightened to two storeys. Some reused c16 panelling in the hall, formerly upstairs. Upstairs the main chamber lies over the hall, with closet over the entrance lobby.
Older house with irregular cross-wings, much altered.
Plain low- and medium-rise housing by the Borough Architect's Office 1975-9, in loose cul-de sacs behind a range along Church Road
Hinges Paddock open field. Last of old Church Farm
1-10 Daniel Almshouses 1729. School in the east wing. Two-storeyed centre with pedimented gable little gabled comer pavilions with newly fashionable Diocletia windows, one-storeyed tenements between. The school in the wing has an inscription dating it 1766, but it was much restored in the c19.
52 Greyhound .Pub which was the church house. Pub. Where they held the parish meetings. Rebuilt 1896. the first licensed premises on this site dated from 1675. The present building fits neatly between an 18th church and the Church Farmhouse Museum.
Our Lady of Dolours. RC 1927. 1863, completed 1927 by T.H.B. Scott. Cruciform, of ragstone; Early English detail.
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works. Anonymous Lower posting aperture, large 19in diameter, 1884
Hendon Church Farm Museum of Local History. Farm until 2nd World War. Hendon’s oldest house.
Farm birthplace of Thomas Tilling
Roman remains found. Belonged to Abbot of Westminster and Wolsey stayed here the night before he died. Name from ‘Hendun’ 959, ‘Heandun’ c.975 ‘Handone’ 1086, ‘Hendon’ 1199, that is "place at the high hill', from Old English. The church of St Mary around which the original settlement developed stands on a prominent hill, reaching 280 ft and visible for many miles from the west and south-west and the name is first recorded when it was a hamlet at the top of Greyhound Hill, The old manor of Hendon covered 8,000 acres of woodlands with clearing settlements.
Johnsons of Hendon. The firm of Johnson's began as assayers in central London in 1743; because of their expertise with such chemicals as silver nitrate, the firm became prominent in the early development of photography. They acquired a site at Hendon during WW1 and the photographic chemical side of their work was greatly increased by the expansion of aerial photography for military purposes. In 1927 the rest of the central London firm moved to Hendon and in 1948 the name of 'Johnsons of Hendon1 was adopted. They were one of the most important manufacturers of photographic chemicals and equipment in this country.
St Mary's Church of England High School, By the 1970s a different, tougher tradition was established. Senior School 1976-7 by K. C. White & Partners, is a rigorously plain two-storey cube with internal courtyard; of russet bricks with pebbly floor bands.
'land on the hill', alluding to the 'high down' which gives a name to Hendon itself There has possibly been a confusion with 'burrows' in some form – ‘Burrows’ 1822, probably 'the animal burrows', from Middle English ‘borow’, with reference to holes made by badgers, foxes, or rabbits. ‘Le Berwestret’ 1316, ‘Borowis in Hendon’ c.l530, ‘Burrowes’ 1574. This is an old bit of a village which was separate but is now linked to Church End by the civic buildings and a row of 19th cottage with rustic porches.
The Pond, which was a landmark, has gone, replaced by a pedestrian tunnel under a road.
Neo Georgian library, architectural blend. Eclectic,
Hendon Bus Garage, London General Omnibus Co. entrance was in Church Road
Town Hall. Forming the nucleus of a cluster of turn-of the century municipal buildings arranged around The Burroughs, Hendon Town Hall was built for the new District Council in 1901 to designs by Thomas Henry Watson. Watson’s design originally failed to qualify in a limited architectural competition assessed by Arthur Beresford Pite but nevertheless found favour with a typically cost conscious council as it was one of the few that could be carried out for £12,000 'which was the essence of the contract' a two storey building with attics, it is executed in red brick and stone in a Free Renaissance style, with some details derived from Gothic traditions. designed to express Hendon' historical associations with the Knight' Templars. in terms of layout it was more conventional with council chamber' committee rooms and chairman's office on the first floor when spaces were re-ordered in the 1930s when the building was extended to provide additional office space. architectural blend. A broad Free Renaissance front in red brick and stone, with a hipped roof with timber lantern rising behind a lively balustraded parapet. Arches with blocked voussoirs to the ground floor. A pair of stone corbelled-out mullioned-and-transomed oriels light the Council Chamber on the first floor. This has a coved ceiling and original seating. Sculpture: Family of Man, by Itzhak Ofer, 1981, bronze. Built in the years shortly before the building of the line to Golders Green by Hendon Urban District Council.
Public Library, By T.M. Wilson, 1929, Eclectic Neo-Baroque. A recessed centre with two attenuated fluted columns in antis, and projecting pedimented wings, whose main windows have swan-necked pediments with brick niches above.
Fire station. Competition with a design to relate to the town hall. It won the competition in 1911, with a design intended to relate to the Town Hall. He was clearly influenced by the LCC's admirable fire stations in a free Arts and Crafts spirit. Red brick over a stone ground floor with three arched openings; two canted stone oriels with mullioned windows; the stone surfaces very smooth and the mouldings
Middlesex University. This campus of the University started as Hendon Technical College; built by the MCC H. W. Burchett, 1937. Serious classical building . Extensions of 1955 and 1969, refectory and engineering blocks. Lighter and brighter 1990s additions for the University. Clock tower. Faculty Books.
Metropolitan Convalescent Institution
Hendon Methodist church, 1937 By Welch & Lander, 1937. Interior subdivided and refurnished 1982. Stained glass window by Christopher Webb; the work of women: St Agnes to Josephine Butler.
Methodist Institute behind, 1910, now, Yakar Jewish Adult Education
Burroughs House. Dignified c18 house four bay with a parapet. .
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works. V.R. cypher Large 19 dia. 1887 - c.1899
St. Joseph’s R.C. Convent and School. This came to Hendon in 1882 from Whitechapel. They belonged to an order known as Poor Handmaids of Jesus from Dembach in the Rhineland in the mid c19, invited to England by Cardinal Manning in 1875. They moved to Norden Court, now Westminster House, c.1887. The once fine grounds were built over but Norden House remains. Also plain school buildings, the block of 1900