Turnpike Lane

       This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked


Burghley Road

Former pumping station of 1897 decorative shaped gable, ingeniously converted in 1983 by Marde &  Knight to a parents' and children's club; cart-shed converted to a  playroom opening on to a secluded open area.

Dovecote Avenue

Site of Dovecote House, a former moated manor house and also called Ducketts Manor.

Frobisher Road

North Haringey Board School 1893

Frobisher Road

New Curzon Cinema, A notable contender for the earliest cinema in the country.  Behind the Queens Head Inn and facing Duckett's Common is a very early purpose-built cinema. It opened as the Premier Electric Theatre on Saturday 16 April 1910.  The entrance was seen as "particularly handsome". The Premier Electric seated 900 on a single raked floor with the now obligatory enclosed fireproof projection box The Mayor of Stoke Newington, Alderman J. R. Brough opened the cinema and C. R. Royce was the residen manager. The programme was changed on Mondays and Thursdays with three matinees per week, afternoon tea being served free on Mondays and Wednesdays. Seats, which were reservable free of charge, cost one shilling, six pence and threepence, with children paying sixpence, fourpence or tuppence. The cinema started off with its own orchestra while the nearby competition, the Coliseum Green Lanes, added a pipe organ to compete.The Premier Electric was built for London Picture Theatre Ltd. as part of a small chain of Premier Electrics.  It was designed by the architectural partnership of William Emden and Stephen Egan of Garrick Street in central London. In the early Thirties, the name was shortened to Premier and Kelly's Directory lists the proprietor as River Park Cinemas.  By 1938, the Premier was owned by Gaywood Cinemas, headed by Harry Pearl. The same company also owned the early Palais de Luxe in Station Road, Wood Green, and both were closed at the same time that year for modernisation, using the Brighton builders J. T. Braybon. The Premier closed on 22 January for seven weeks after showing Topper. A plan still held by Haringey L. B. shows pink shading to indicate a new frontage, the work of architect F. E. Bromige of Rayners Lane Grosvenor fame, leaving the box and body of the hall untouched apart from electrical work, new seating and work on the ventilation.  The restricted entrance at Wood Green resulted in a vertically ribbed art deco  front while the freestanding site in Frobisher Road allowed the Regal to have a more expansive, if ponderous, art deco front behind which the 1910 curved auditorium arch was visible (as it is today). The two cinemas shared press advertising until 1948

 

Green Lanes

Duckett's Common, named after the ancient manor and a local farmer

Drove road into London

Ladder of roads up the left side of Green Lanes built between 1886 and 1900.  All variegated brick with stone facing.  Romantic street names, cut off by marshalling yards of the North East Railway

Hampden Road

New River can be seen from the bridge on Hampden Road.

High Road

 

7 Halifax Building Society.  Some of the facade remains from Wood Green Empire opened 1912 Located in the north London district of Wood Green. The Wood Green Empire Theatre was built for Sir Oswald Stoll, as one of his chain of Stoll-Moss Empire variety theatres. It opened on 9th September 1912. Designed by  theatre architect Frank Matcham, the exterior of the building was included in a parade of shops named Cheapside.. The auditorium ran parallel to the High Road, behind the Cheapside shops. Inside the auditorium the decoration was typical of an Edwardian variety theatre, with finely detailed plaster decorations. There was a large dome in the ceiling, which contained a sliding roof, to allow for ventilation. a capacity of almost 3,000 (including standing). there were eight dressing rooms. As it was a purpose built variety theatre, it was equipped with a Bioscope box from its opening, and films were a part of the variety programme.It was popular from its opening, and many stars appeared over the years, Plays were also produced  In the late 1920’s, converted into a cinema, and screened Al Jolson in "The Singing Fool". Film use had ceased by the end of World War II, and it reverted back to full stage use. Top stars still appeared at the theatre, one of the Stoll-Moss Theatres chain of suburban London theatres, the final production was a pantomime "Cinderella It was taken over by Associated Television(ATV) which was owned by Stoll-Moss Theatres chain, and they used it as a television studio theatre, staging spectacular shows, but this only lasted a short while until they had built their own purpose-built television studio. The auditorium was demolished in the mid-1960’s, and a Sainsbury supermarket was built on the site with its entrance on Lymington Avenue, The entrance building to the theatre on the High Road, survives as a branch of the Halifax Bank PLC, The Cheapside parade of shops also survives intact.

 Located at the Turnpike Lane south-east end of Wood Green High Road, just north of Whymark Avenue. The Crown Picture Theatre was possibly a shop conversion. It was operating by 1913 and was closed around 1915.

The Picture Palladium was opened in 1913. It was equipped with an organ (possibly a Hope-Jones straight organ). The cinema was closed in 1915, possibly due to conditions during World War I, or by being requisitioned by the government?re-opened around 1920. fitted with an RCA sound system in 1929. Later a Western Electric sound sytstem was fitted and it was closed as the Palladium Cinema at the end of 1937.A branch of Marks & Spencer stores was built on the site, which still operates in 2012.

Green Lanes

Premier Electric. Joshua Duckworth of Lancaster is credited as the first to build a cinema in Britain; in 1905 he built a quite plain hall, converting it to a cinema in 1907. The oldest still to survive in London 1910

 Langham Road

Langham School 1970s.

Public lavatory.  Listed Grade II. Integral part of underground

Mannock Way

A narrow right of way linking Downhills Park Road and Langham Place cutting across the line of route of the Palace Gates line.

Milton Road

Turnpike Lane

'Lane beside a toll barrier'.

26-30 Toll Gate

Westbury Avenue

Turnpike Lane Station.  19th September 1932. Between Wood Green and Manor House on the Piccadilly Line.  Built on the Piccadilly Line and London Electric Railway although now obscured by street furniture it is a Pretty group with a restaurant on a curved first floor.  The Station boasted a fine street level building, which was designed, together with an adjoining block of shops, by Adams, Holden & Pearson. From this, stairs led to the sub-surface ticket hall, which was also reached by means of subways from Ducketts Green, the Wellington public house, nearby tramway islands and the other side of Green Lanes. A ventilation tower was incorporated into the main building and behind this was positioned a staff canteen, described at the time as having an interior styled upon "the latest snack bar". A row of stools were fixed at a suitable distance from the counter, which was of white vitrolite and had a black vitrolite top. From the booking hall, with its passimeter ticket office and up-lighter illumination, escalators carried passengers to the central circulating area and the two platforms. These were clad in the standard biscuit colour, but had detailing picked out in deep yellow. The building incorporates a row of shops along the main road.  1971 Listed Grade 11

Rushworth Literature Enterprises

Green Lanes goods depot

Railway track on Palace Gates line leading to Green Lanes goods depot diverged on the up side. The old over bridge above the Palace Gates railway has been prettily modernised although the former railway clearances seem to have reduced in height. Beyond here the old trackbed is evident, forming a rough path past some Victorian terraced houses adjacent to the line

Whymark Avenue.

Whymark garage.  In 1920s this was bus terminal used by the Wellington Pub before the tube started.  Therefore, private buses garaged there.  Empress and Uneedus Buses used the motor showroom. 

Wightman Road

New River under it in a 200 yard tunnel of 7ft diameter. Its present course enters a cutting behind the houses in Wightman Road, where a steep hill rises opposite the end of Allison Road, and it enters the tunnel.

St.Paul. by Peter Jenkins of Inskip & Jenkins, 1988-93, replacing a church of 1890-1 by G.M. Silley destroyed by fire in 1984.  

St.Peter Greek Orthodox Church was Church of England.  A late work by James Brooks & Son, replacing an iron church of 1884. 

Vicarage by Brooks 1899-1900, his last; Georgian windows and

Willow Walk

Engine farm from 1902.  Bennett, made fog signals there for Trinity House, then made aircraft engines.  It was a private bus garage 1920s - Admiral Bus Co. This was very successful.  In 1927 they had 38 buses, 26 taxis, 2 coaches and 5 lorries.  Sold in 1927 and the premises became Public Co’s. Garage - Public was started by Bennett


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow