London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Along herecan be found another bridge structure overthe old railway, this time with two sets ofspeed bumps or 'sleeping policemen'.
Belmont Roadbridge on the Palace gates line.This is still inuse for road traffic and boasts sand-blasted parapets Beyond West Green, the line climbed in a north-westerly direction,
passing beneath the bridge which carried Belmont Road
c. 1976. By Dry Halasz Dixon
On line of the old railway between Seven Sisters and
Palace Gates. Crosses over where the line oncelay.modem names hint at railway connections,
structures over the old trackbed of the
Palace Gates Line, partly covered in greenery
Culross Close/Woodlands Park Road
Blacksmith’s forge there for many years & a private bus garage.Demolished
out with reliefs from a stonemason’s yard.
Named from ‘Down hills’ 1619, ‘Downhills’ 1877, so called
from ‘le Downe’ 1467, 'the down or hill', from Middle English ‘doun’ with the
later tautological addition of ‘hill’.
Marks the site of old station.
which is a landscaped grassy area, ata
slightly higher level than the old trackbed of the Palace Gates line.
Duncan Tucker largest maker of greenhouses for the Lea
Valley fruit and vegetable trade. From
1830. Thorn Lighting later on the site.
Holy Trinity Church. Listed Grade C, Conservation Area 1828-30.
Holy Trinity Church School. Listed Grade II, Conservation Area.church school built 1847.
336 Education Offices.was School Board
Downhills Board School 1893
Tottenham Green Centre. Sports Centre and Marcus Garvey
32 Tottenham Hotspur, private bus company which owned the
house & garage.Covered ground for
the buses & a workshop at the back.Steam lorries.
Cottageslaid out in 1857
1982 by Riley & Glanfield, a replacement for a church of 1886-8 by Hodson
‘Le Westgrene’ 1502, ‘West Green’
1822, self-explanatory, 'western village green', from its situation on the west
boundary ofthe parish of Tottenham.
West Green Road
old route linking the
High Road and Green Lanes, mostly C20 now. The
hamlet of West Green lay at the junction with Philip Lane, still marked by the
Blackboy pub. When the railway line was built this was
a separate hamlet from Tottenham
432, the Red House, a striking old people's home by Colquhoun &
Miller, 1976. wing to allow for a road which was not built. In the angle a common
Gresley Close. On the site of a c19 station picturesquely
tucked into a slope, by Dry Halasz Dixon, . This is one of a
number of small infill groups of the mid 1970s along a redundant railway line
between Seven Sisters and Turnpike Lane
Green Station. 1st January
1878. Opened by the Great Eastern Railway. On the north side of West Green Road
near Philip Lane. The railway line ran at the south of
West Green Road, then turned north and ran under West Green Road to the
station. It then went along the edge ofDownhills Park Recreation Ground.From Seven Sisters, the
Palace Gates line had headed west descending on a gradient of 1 in 100, until
it reached here. The station had two platforms, and was in a deep, wide cutting
with a brick booking office north of West Green Road. There were covered
stairways down to the wooden buildings by the line. In
1963 it was closed. Gresley Closeon the part of
the site which is south of West Green Road.
A signal box at the country end on the down side.
goods yard, on the down side. Closed 1964. The
burnt out remains of the goodsoffice, which was
originally attached to thepassenger entrance,
was still there in the 1990s.It was
used by a car-hire business.
Sidings which came right down to the road.
coal office remained.
School. Occupies the site ofthe railway
immediately north of what was West Green Station on the Palace Gates Line.
RC. Built 1959 by Archard &f Partners.
West Green Board School.It dates
from 1886 and was enlarged in 1909
junction with Philip Lane, bridge parapets that originallystood over the branch just south of West Green
station.Behind it, the old cutting
filled in and has a mature tree!
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by