Snaresbrook, Epping Forest

Post to the south - Snaresbrook

Post to the east - South Woodford

Post to the west - Walthamstow, Wood Street



Church Lane

Leytonstone train staff mess room depot

Forest School. Part of it is row of Georgian buildings. Oldest 1760 and probably built by Du Boulay as first school house

School chapel 1867 with Morris glass

Eighteenth century house also part of the school to the east

Enclosure in the forest in 17th and eighteenth century, cottage built in eighteenth century, school in 1834, Glass Historic Buildings,

College Place

Development on this fringe of Epping Forest began in the 17th when three rows of houses were built by Sir John Salter, a Lord Mayor and chairman of the East India Company.  Paradise Row became College Place.

Forest School founded in 1834 with twenty-two pupils as a private establishment for the sons of the local gentry. Its cast-iron Neo-Grecian railings and gateposts with lions' heads fit this date. However the , domestic scale hides the fact this it now has many students. In the centre is a mid-c18 house with a later smaller house. The centre house has an c18 front hall; with a library behind for the school, a sober room with three big windows. In 1863-5 it was lined with dark c17 panelling from the chapel of Jesus College Oxford – there was a friendship between G.E. Street, restorer of the college chapel, the headmaster, Frederick Barlow Guy, and William Morris.

Chapel. An informal quadrangle connected by a cloister leads to the chapel, built 1857 with funding from William Cotton and extended in 1875, by William White. with wood-work from Jesus College. The Guy family's Anglo-Catholic taste is reflected by the refined angels designed by White, carved by Harry Hems. Other furnishings were lost in the Second World War. But there are fragments and copies of work by William Morris & Co., and a window by Powell & Sons of Whitefriars, where the artists had sons at the school. There is a 1950s window by Francis Skeat, Christ with two idealized schoolboys.   

The Dining Hall dates from 1886 by Richard Creed and although there were only fifty boys, it is on an Oxbridge collegiate scale with a hammerbeam roof and a Morris tapestry, the school banner of 1879, designed by Morris remains.

The Warden's Lodgings Victorian   

Former infirmary, 1859, a simple two-storey cottage.

Aston Building, a well-proportioned, functional classroom block of 1951-3

Theatre, 1963-70 with Arup Associates its concrete construction was once boldly exposed, but since muted by tile-cladding in the 1990s. In the entrance lobby a window made up of fragments of medieval glass - canopy, figure of a saint, grisaille leaves and vine scroll border - from Howden Minster where F.B. Guy's father was rector.

Arts block with a bland Neo-Georgian facade, c. 2000.

Sixth form centre, polygonal music centre, and sports hall of the 1970s

Junior School, incorporating a plain five-bay c18 house,

Cricket pavilion with computer centre tucked beneath,

Girls' School, 1978-81, a cluster of hexagons, by Tooley Foster Partnership.

Forest Rise

Pond was St Jacobs Water built as part of Clock House grounds in 1790s

Holy Trinity Church top of the hill.

Oakhurst Gardens

Enclosure of cottages called Paradise Row or Hoggs Corner, Grant of Waste, house called Oakhurst built there. School called Exeter College. Gardens built in 1934 and old house demolished 1954.  now Oakhurst Court.

Snaresbrook Road

Snaresbrook House, now flats, white-stuccoed house in its own grounds. It looks early c18 but has been much altered.

Eagle Pond. Was previously called ‘Snares Pond’. Anglers.  Trials for the stiffness of boats’ hulls by RSA after trying Peerless Pool - this was a bit bigger - in 1762,  more wind and a longer run of 105 yards

St.Peter’s Avenue

Enclosure in eighteenth century in the forest; nineteenth century Castle House.  Fire in 1879 and new house. McCall family. Changed name to Woodlands because they had had Woodlands in Wood Street.

The Forest

An informal cluster

Gwydr Lodi mid-c18, four irregular bays and two storeys staircase and panelling inside

Ivy Cottages, an early c19 pair, and Victorian pairs built for Forest School.

Woodford New Road

Cut through the Forest in 1828

St Peter in the Forest, By John jun., 1840, to serve the scattered population on the fringe of the Forest; used by Forest School until it had its own church Altered 1854 by Charles Ainslie, extended in 1887 by Lewis. Damaged in the Second World War and in a fire. With mural paintings of 1901-5. 1844 separate parish, avowdson belonged to the Warner family,  renewed recently in the vaguely early Christian Italian  Rundbogerstil, Grant of Waste 1831, Commissioners in 1840, £30 for copyhold,  burial ground 1960, therefore no burial rates to pay 

Rising Sun Public House.

Pond called Bullrush Pond, shape changed by bombing

St.Peter’s Place, 1844 cottages, Last one turned into a beer shop called the Rising Sun, Terminus of horsebus from Hackney in 1889, Other cottages pulled down in 1960s, 1970 for a car park, 1880s Lea Bridge Tramways, taken over by Leyton UDC in 1905, Walthamstow UDC tramways in 1905

Vicarage, Enclosure from the forest, 1857, Upper Walthamstow chief subscriber from the patronage, New vicarage built next door 1960, old one is Peterhouse

Woodford

Our Lady and St. George RC church from 1901


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow