London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Park Station.1926.Between South Ruislip and Sudbury Hill Harrow
on Chiltern Railways line to St.Marylebone. Great Central
Railway opened as
‘South Harrow and Roxteth’. In 1929 it was renamed Northolt Park.
Named for the racecourse.Council flats built here post-war.
Northolt Park Infant School.
Northolt Manor, held in the Domesday Book by Geoffrey de
The park is the site of the old racecourse but it is just
a bog standard recreation ground.
Roxeth, GC R and Metropolitan Rly.
Harrow Gas Works. 1855-1954 John Chapman, Harrow GLCC
1872, Harrow Dist. 1873, Harrow and Stanmore 1894, Brentford 1924, GLCC 1926,
NTGB 1949. Built by Chapman at the request of the inhabitants of Harrow 1872
rebuilt, then became a statutory company, 1902 horizontal house became
inclined, ext to retorts in 1925, plant from Ilford works. CWG 1906. 1924
Travers Clark Complete Gasification. Had sulphate plant 1933 active carbon
benzol recovery plant, 1931 waterless gasholder plus big row. Camouflage
painting. Closed in 1954 but holders till there 1957
Race Course Estate
Race Course housing estate. up to 1939 this was a penny
race track.The racecourse had been
opened on what was previously farm land in 1929 as the national centre for pony
racing. In the Second World War it was used as a camp for Italian Prisoners of
War.Before the races could re-start the
Council bought the site for housing.64
houses were built in 1951 and the grandstand was demolished. Some houses were
built by Ealing Council and some by Harrow.One stand was moved to Brands Hatch.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o