Norbiton

      This post is not finished it is not edited or checked


Cambridge Road

Kingston Adult Education Centre, ex-Norbiton school. Later c 19, Gothic, with the name in a pattern of dark brick on the gables.

Chatham Road

Site part of the Norbiton Place estate

Chesham Road

Site part of the Norbiton Place estate. Covered by area of great lake with grottoes, etc. at north end was handsome stone bridge.

Clevedon Road

Site part of the Norbiton Place estate

Cobham Road:

Site part of the Norbiton Place estate. Covered by area of great lake with grotto at the north end

Coombe Lane West

Coombe Lane Farm on north side and Kingston Hospital on some of the land. Dickens sold some of the land in 1837 for the hospital and the rest into the Duke of Cambridge who kept it until 1932.

Coombe Road

Norbiton Station. 1869. Between New Maldon and Kingston on South Western Trains. The Line came through Norbiton in 1865 on the Kingston Wimbledon Railway between the Southampton Main Line at Malden and Kingston. Thus Station was built in 1869 in the fields on Coombe Road. It remains very nineteenth century – a large yellow brick house like that at Teddington. In 1884 subway linking the platforms was built. The site was part of the Norbiton Place estate.

Goods yard closed 1965

Line run through Norbiton in 1865 between Southampton Main Line at Malden and Kingston. Station built in 1869 in the fields on Coombe Road. Still there and still nineteenth century 1884 subway linking the platforms built. Site part of the Norbiton Place estate, on Kingston Wimbledon line 1869

Shiraz Mirza community hall in converted YMCA building

Coombe Wood Golf Course

Gallows Tamkin. The water from the Wolsey conduits was collected in lead pipes approximately 3" in diameter, its course to Hampton Court being punctured by "tamkins", small brick buildings used for plugging off the supply if repairs were required. An early eighteenth century map shows six tamkins, but only one now remains above ground, on the Golf Course. It measures about 9' 0" by 6' 3" internally. Three of the walls are 14" thick but the other with its entrance door is 3' 0" thick. The end walls have gables and stone dressings. Five steps lead down to a sandy floor across which meanders a little stream. All leadwork has disappeared. The building was restored more than fifty years

Galsworthy Road

Kingston Hospital.. Victorian Hospital 1898. Diamond Jubilee of 1878. Hospital on site of old workhouse which was built here in the late 1830s on the fields of Coombelane Farm.. There was a tower for water which was raised from the well by cranks which used labour of the inmates via a treadmill. On the Kingston Zodia the Libra bird’s tail fans the hospital.  The infirmary becamne a separate institute in 1902.   Good restaurant and stores by W. E. Tatton-Brown of the Ministry of Health and Richard Mellor of the South-West Metropolitan Region Hospital Board, 1964-6. Gynaecological now.

Manorgate Road

Office block replacing factory for Direct Aerated Water Co.

Norbiton

Down market suburb of Kingston. Name means an outlying farm or grange – both it and Surbiton were granges of Kingston. This was the king’s estate by a ford on the river and its outlying farms were called ‘bartons’ . Norbiton, the 'north grange', which was separated from it by the hill on which Berrylands Farm was sited. Both granges were dependencies of the royal manor of Kingston

Norbiton. ‘Norberton’ 1205, ‘Norbeton’ 1272, ‘Norbiton’ 1531, that is 'the northern grange or outlying farm', from Old English ‘north’ and  ‘bere-tiin’, so called in relation to Surbiton; both were granges of the royal manor of Kingston. Norbiton Common, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876, was enclosed in 1808.

Norbiton Avenue

Site part of the Norbiton Place estate.

Wolsey Close

Fields of Coombelane Farm.

Tamkins Inspection Point for Wolsey conduit.  Cardinal Wolsey built a conduit stretching some three and a half miles from Kingston Hill and Coombe Hill to Hampton Court, passing under Kingston and under the Thames. Three of the conduit houses stand, and one of the intermediate inspection points - Tamkins, over- restored, in the Coombe Wood Golf Course. Medicinal water just above Libra.  Water piped to Hampton Court

Wolverton Avenue

Kingston named after Lady Wolverton

13 The Elms, 55ft x 25ft garden owned by 'plantaholic'! Trees, shrubs, climbers, herbaceous and ground cover plants, some rare. Pool, fruit trees and soft fruits.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow