Norbiton Common

    This post is not finished it is not edited or checked


Albermarle Gardens

Laid out on land of Norbiton Park Farm

Beresford Road:

Ex Norbiton Common farm land

Combe wood

Golf course huge amount of private open space

Dickerage Lane

Dickerage Farm at its northern end

Mount Primary School

Dunbar Road

Ex Norbiton Common Farm land

Elm Avenue:

Bought by National Freehold Land Society planted with trees no facilities 1850s.

Kingston Road

St.Joseph's . R.C 1922-35 by Osmund Bentley, altered and completed by Adrian Gilbert Scott. Conventional Gothic.  brick

Norbiton Park Farm site. Owned by Roupell, MP for Lambeth, who sold it illegally and had to run away. Mr. Waite renamed it Waitelands. Waite tried to get a railway through and failed. Farm bought by London and Suburban Land Co.  Farmhouse there in 20th

171 Duke of Wellington

Archdale Place. Housing on site of old school buildings

Norbiton Common

Was once a separate parish where seven acres were put aside in 1697 for the poor to grow flax.  The 320 acre common was enclosed in 1808 and became small farms and small holdings.

Ornia Road

Ex Norbiton Common Farm land

Poplar Grove:

Bought by National Freehold Land Society planted with trees no facilities 1850s

Potters Grove:

Site of brickworks, became a sewage works

Railway Line

Line from London – the diversion of this line in the 1830s away from Kingston neccessited a long embankment across Norbiton Common

South Lane:

Used to be Sow Lane

Springfield Hospital. Site of Kingston Workhouse which was once Kingston Union Farm ex Norbiton Common Farm

Thorne Road:

Ex Norbiton Common Farm land

Warwick Road

Dickerage Lane. Site of brickfields

Warren Road

The Watergardens,  Japanese landscaped garden originally part of Coombe Wood Nursery, approx 9 acres with water cascade features.

Westbury Road

Laid out by London and Suburban Land Co 1880s.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town