London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Corner with Whalebone Lane
North is disused chapel
Queens Theatre.Well established attraction.
In 1936, in a field between Whalebone Lane North and
Billet Lane, a coffin carved from one solid block of sandstone, was discovered
The coffin was quite badly
damaged, but there was still a skeleton inside it. Pottery vessels were also
Mark stones. On
the east side of Whalebone Lane, just to the south of Chadwell Heath Cemetery
are twin stones, one bearing the inscription "MAR(KS) STONE". They
lie almost hidden atop a low bank in the elm hedge and are surviving marker stones from this earlier age.
Chadwell Heath Cemetery. Laid by Dagenham UDC in 1933-4. Close to the gates is the Chapel a
good design by T.R Francis, the Council Surveyor. Austere, in brick and
reconstituted stone with a semi-heptagonal apsed end set beneath a kneelered
Opposite the cemetery one
remaining arable field
Paulatim Lodge, well house
and pump with windmill.
Warren Farm. Contains
site of Marks Hall. Marked as ‘Warren ‘on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883,
earlier ‘Marks Warren’ 1640, that is; 'rabbit warren belonging to the manor of Marks'
Marks Hill was
acquired c.1461 by Sir Thomas Urswyck. He may have rebuilt the house, described
c. 1796 as 'an ancient structure of timber and plaster forming a quadrangle. It
is surrounded by a moat at two corners of which are square towers embattled'.
this moat partly survives.The house was
demolished 1808. 20 rooms gatehouse, chapel. Estate was sold to the Crown in
Warren Farm Barn. Listed Grade II but considered to be at risk. Large c17 red brick
barn. a large c17 barn with a long gambrel roof and mighty cart entrance. It
was associated with the old manor house of Marks
Anti Aircraft Battery a relic of London's defences,
well-preserved and substantial erected in 1935-9. Concrete semicircular
emplacements for eight guns, accommodation blocks and shelters
The Warren Stone
Listed Grade II but considered to be at risk.Boundary stone, 1642, situated in Chadwell Heath Gun Site . In storage
with Warren Hall Farm tenant farmers while gravel extraction takes place. To be
reinstated in its original position.
arable field – one of two which lies within the Borough
Recorded thus in 1777 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, named from
‘Merkes’ 1368, ‘Markys’ c.1480, ‘Markes’ 1594, ‘Marks’ 1805, a manorial name indicating
the estate of the family of Simon de Merk 1330. The moated site of the manor
house. Mark's Hall- called Marks House
in 1663 – can still be seen. The 'gate' refers to an entrance into Hainault
Forest which once extended north from here, and the surname ‘de Merk’ is from
Old English ‘mearc’ -'boundary', here
alluding to the edge of the forest. Marks
a gate to the Forest. Forest was originally marked with the Marks Stone and the
Fortified hilltop village
in 600 BC but only the hill left now. Otherwise it is still very rural.Medieval manor of Marks was part of Barking
and had its own manor court from the 14th and special rights in
Hainault forest boundary stone.Warren stone still there
Marks Gate Estate,
Planned c. 1951-6
as a joint enterprise with Ilford Borough Council, to designs by A.E.
Stickland, Dagenham Borough Engineer. A self-contained community with its own
church and schools.
originated about 1917, when Miss
Fleet started a Sunday school.
Central road for Dagenham's Marks Gate Estate,
In advance of the laying out of the estate, a site at the
corner of Rose Lane and Hatch Grove was reserved for a small L-shaped group of
bungalows for the disabled, erected as Dagenham's War Memorial to designs by
Graham Dawbarn, 1956. only three dwellings around a sunken
A single seventeen-storey tower block, by M. Maybury, was
added at the end of the site, c. 1965.
Was once on the edge of
Hainault Forest and the hedge is that of the Liberty of Havering Atte Bower.
Horses on pasture, grassy
field, hedges, pond.Pond is gravel
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by