This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Chester Road corner shops in a different idiom
73 Victorian house 1870 converted to have a very low carbon footprint. Wood burning stove, water conservation, insulation, solar panels, etc.
Highgate Branch Library. First borough branch library by Carnegie
Flats St Pancras Borough housing of 1922-30 by A.J. Thomas.
Dartmouth Hill Road?
St. Mary Brookfield, 1876, not of special merit, sculpture inside
Robin Grove ,
Residential district developed from c.1870, named from the
Earls of Dartmouth, owners of the estate here during the 18th and 19th
streets laid out haphazardly in the last quarter of c19 over the undulating foothills of Highgate
Dartmouth Park Road.
Enthusiasm for concrete surfaces had evaporated by the time of the later phase along Dartmouth Park Road (1978-81, Bill Forrest, Oscar Palacio); here the more homely brick terraces of houses and flats have wide overhanging eaves and are prettily ornamented with timber trellises and colourful balconies. The final phase remained unbuilt, the surviving Victorian terraces nearby bearing witness to doubts whether so much reconstruction had ever been necessary. [
St.Peter's 1879-80 by C. L. Luck a rather good town church of the same plan as Luck two churches in the Isle of Wight’. Red
St.Mary Brookfield. 1869-75 by J Butterfield; chancel 1881 by W. C. Street.
Vicarage Plain rendered by Temple Moore, 1911-12.
Grove Terrace Mews
Country garden oasis
set within the walls of an old orchard. Mixed borders, pond and courtyard, as
well as fruit trees, create a tranquil atmosphere
Highgate New Town
Trying to integrate Euston Main Line with surrounding neighbourhood as a response to site restoration views and greenery. Communal facilities designed to minimise circulation and still be spatially interesting
Area of gravel diggings in 15th and 16th century
Holly Lodge. The
home of Angela Burdett Coutts was near junction of Swains Lane. Demolished 1920. Dickens used to visit her
6-7, 9-10, 11 more spacious stuccoed villas
31 Betjeman’s childhood home one of a group of 1860 stucco and brick terrace houses uphill from Millfield Lane.
Holly Lodge. built in 1798 by Sir Henry Tempest which was later to be known as The Holly Lodge and in 1809 a young actress, Harriot Mellon, took over the lease on the property. She married the banker Thomas Coutts in 1815 and enlarged the house and grounds by buying adjacent properties. When Harriot Mellon died in 1837 she left the house and her fortune to Mr Coutts' granddaughter, Angela Burdett. Between 1849 and 1906 Holly Lodge became world famous as the rural retreat of one of the most remarkable women of the 19th century with grand galas and festivities taking place in the house and the meadows. Angela Burdett-Coutts had married in 1881 The former 'lodge' was demolished during the building of the new roads of houses and no trace of the building now remains, apart from a plaque at the entrance to the gardens taken from the north wall.
Holly lodge estate and after her death her husband put the property on the market. it failed to sell it was not until 1922, after the death of her husband, that even outlying parts of the estate were sold: Eventually, in March 1923, the remainder of the estate, advertised as and subsequently always referred to as the Holly Lodge Estate, was sold for £45,000 and resold at the same price later that year to London Garden Suburbs Limited with the building of the first road of houses, on
Holly Lodge Estate. The Holly Lodge Estate
Select garden suburb in the
grounds of Angela’s villa 1923 remarkable. Select development mixing family
houses and flats intended for lady workers.
Also a restaurant and a social centre. The grounds were landscaped. Part of the gardens remains as a private between Robin
Grove and Holly Lodge Gardens. The stables were in St Albans Road.
St.Alban's Villas. Site of Hermitage which had one little room
of Ivy and elm with naked figures on the ceiling. For the Prince Regent. Who built it?
Ebenezer hid there in 1824, H. Farthing £170,000 stock, burnt down in
Gentleman's farm until bought by Burdett Coutts.
Crossed by the Fleet tributary from Ken Wood at around the St.Alban's Road level, coming from the ponds. It was 13 ft wide at flood. Stream crosses again further down and joined by another tributary
Well sunk by Hampstead Water Company in an enclosure
which was part of Kentish Town Green Common running along the west of Highgate
Road at the foot of Parliament Hill Fields. The well was completed to a depth
in 1845; it was approximately at Croftdown Road. The engine installed there was
a beam engine with a 44in. and a 10ft stroke, made at St Austell. In an attempt to obtain further water a
boring was begun early in 1853 but the effort was abandoned after reaching a
depth of 1,302 ft. The engine was taken
down and re-erected at the New River Company's Hornsey works in 1858. The enclosure, with the site of the Kentish
Town boring, was added to Parliament Hill Fields in 1890 and the claims over
the enclosure of the New River Company were purchased for £6,500 by the London
County Council out of the sum of £12,000 paid by the Midland Railway Company in
1889 for concessions during railway extensions over Old St Pancras Churchyard.
Incidentally how the Hampstead Water Company became possessed of the land is a
Open Spaces. Maintained by the owner.
Kentish Town parish church. Medieval parish church replaced in 1782. Redundant. Remodelling of a Wyatt church – ‘deplorably done’ in 1843. Wyatt’s first church. Various monuments and a Burne Jones window
William Ellis School
carriage way through the grounds of Holly
Lodge. It now climbs uphill between
verges and trim half-timbered villas. The most prominent buildings on the
estate are the weird half-timbered mans blocks
between Hillway and Swain's Lane, built in 1924 for 'workers'. They had a
restaurant and social centre in Makepe Avenue.
This, and some of the flats, were replaced with flats Camden in 1975-7.
HOLLY LODGE ESTATE the land to the east of the new central road was instead acquired by the Lady Workers' Homes Limited to build blocks of rooms for single women moving to London in order to work as secretaries and clerks in the city on the Eastern side of the estate. the estate currently has two main access roads. The upper one to Highgate West Hill closing every night until mid-morning, the lower one to Swains Lane being closed randomly with access then controlled by estate staff.
Langbourne Mansions was built
first and provided 88 self-contained flats designed from the outset as bed-sitting rooms, sometimes with
bedroom or kitchen alcoves, and offered an acceptable way for single women to
live near to London on their own. Only three flats in the whole of Makepeace
Mansions and Holly Lodge Mansions had their own bathroom one for the caretaker and the remaining one for the stoker for the
central boiler). The remainder all had shared bathroom and toilet facilities,
which is still the case for seven of the blocks even today. Makepeace Mansions
originally provided 269 rooms and Holly Lodge Mansions on Oakeshott Avenue had
408 flats but later conversions have seen this number reduced as bedsits have
given way to self-contained flats. New regulations have seen a start on the
conversion of the remaining bedsits to self-contained accommodation during
Plaque from the north wall of the estate orchard
St.Anne Brookfield. Lots of them in these posh suburbs. 1858 founded by Anne Brookfield. Various works of art.