London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
Turret House. On the site of old Coombe House. It
goes through what was the Coombe Manor lawn. Lake still there, fed by seven
by F. L. Hird, 1934,
Coombe Manor replaced an earlier a Tudor house. There is
remaining Tudor wall in Traps Lane and a Lodge in Coombe Lane West. The House
was demolished in 1933 being bought by Higgs
and Hill who then built lots of neo geos
Site of Coombe
Springs. Only lodge left. Small compared to the others. Royalty and bankers again.
Coomb Springs. In 1946, Coombe Springs was acquired for the Institute under
Bennett and by followers of Gurdjieff. It
had been used for research laboratories by the British Coal Utilisation
Association since 1943 of which Bennett was the Director. It
was eventually donated to Isdris Shah who sold it for housing development,.
Coombe Hill Farm
bought by Duke of Cambridge from Earl Spencer in 1839 and let out leases to
build big posh houses. Farmhouse
demolished in 1969 for Coombe Hill Junior and Infants School. Red brick walls of Coombe Warren. Very posh and built by another banker and
friend of royalty etc. Burnt down in
1870 and rebuilt. Gladstone hung out
there and walked through the grounds.
Sold in 1926 demolished and divided into plots but all the fancy bits
are still around if you look - Orangery
Coombe Springs Conduit sluice house in grounds of
Coombe Springs. View from Tamkins. Freshwater springs locally were collected in
brick feeders leading to the sluice house. 3 inch diameter pipes take the water
to Hampton Court palace. Dates from the 1520s.
Coombe Conduit. Cardinal
Wolsey built a conduit stretching some three and a half miles from Kingston
Hill and Coombe Hill to Hampton Court, passing under Kingston and under the
Thames. Three of the conduit houses stand – one in the grounds of a house in
Lord Chancellor's Walk with both its original buildings, linked by an
underground passage. built c 1540, is the most elaborate of the three, consisting
of two buildings of equal size connected by an underground passage, 81' 0"
long and 5' 4" wide, roofed by a barrel vault, 7' 9" high, rising to
nearly 10' 0" and only a few inches below the ground. The higher, east,
unit is largely below ground, and unfortunately the upper part was badly
damaged in 1943 when a flying bomb exploded and caused a tree to fall on it.
The eastern chamber consists of three separate units. The central and original
room is 10' 0" x 9' 0" with recesses on three sides, although in the
17th C or early 18th one of the recesses on the north side was pierced to form
a doorway. Each chamber has a lead-lined tank, the central one being a deep
oval 6' 0" deep. The Lower House (West Chamber) is a single storey brick
building, 9' 10" wide and 11' 8" long, its floor being 2' 6"
below ground level. The north and south walls have twin recesses; the east and
west walls, arches giving respectively onto the tunnel and entrance doorway,
the latter being reached by four steps. In the floor is another oval lead
cistern. Externally the entrance front is faced with squared, random rubble,
very carefully fitted with fine joints but having the appearance of stones
re-used from other building the supply of which gave out early, so that above
the window the wall continues in Tudor brickwork and is finished with a
crow-stepped gable. The side windows are likely to have been inserted in the
early 18th Century.
Very slowly built
up from 1880s
Miramonte, 1936-7 by Maxwell
Fry. Concrete construction, faced with white plaster
set off by blue metal trim. The motifs recall Fry's slightly earlier Sun House, Hampstead, but the larger site here gives greater
scope for the play of open
and closed elements, of different geometric shapes, and of contrasted window
forms. By the
road a separate garage with a chauffeur’s flat above with an open spiral staircase to an upper balcony. The L-shaped house is further back, via a covered way. A tall staircase window provides the main interest on the entrance side. The front has
long window bands on two floors and a half-covered roof terrace. At the
end of the front a projecting sunroom with covered
balcony over, a typical Fry motif.
Swimming pool. The horizontal emphasis is echoed by the curving walls that unite the
house and garden. Built for Jerry Brown who was an urban land
speculator. Special sliding windows and ceiling heating.
57; 65; 69 Sunspan houses. By Wells Coates and Pleydell Bouverie. Examples of the infiltration
of the modern style into English suburbia.
They use the device of a rounded
angle to the road with the entrance
into it. Seen as a standard set of
plans which could be licensed to builders. This is the bungalow version.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by