London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Site of Claybury Farm.
Like Claybury takes its
name from the de la Clay family who lived here in 1203. first recorded in 1410. ‘Clayburyhall’'hall or manor-house inclay-soil
area'.Recorded thus in 1449 and on the
Ordnance Survey map of 1883, named from ‘la Claie’ 1203, ‘La Ciaya’ 1239. from
lay a mile south-east of Woodford Bridge, was a free tenement held of Barking
abbey. It is first mentioned in 1203. Clayhall was in the Monins family until
1918, when J. H. Monins sold it
Clayhall was a
building of considerable size and the residence of its rich and titled owners,
as well as of Sir Christopher Hatton. It was improved by Sir Thomas Cambell,
Bt. d. 1665. Two plaques with the arms of Sir Thomas and his wife Hester were
put on the gateposts at the main entrance with stone ball above them. Sir
Thomas also built a brick granary, with a stone tablet giving the date and his
family. The mansion was demolished in the middle of the 18th and
replaced by a farmhouse. the date 1763, is shown on a tablet in the wall of the
Clayhall Farm. The
house was of brick, contained two stories and attics and was occupied by
William Lamb, his son James, and his grandson Frank Lamb, who was still the
tenant when Clayhall was broken up for building. The farmhouse and its
out-buildings were demolished in 1935. The gateposts and balls of 1648 had been
reset in a wall of the building
A private chapel,
built at Clayhall by Sir Christopher Hatton was consecrated in 1616 by Thomas
Morton, Bishop of Chester. This chapel, later used as a barn, was demolished in
1935. It was a small building of red brick. The south-west wall had two
round-headed windows with moulded cills inscribed '1659 Hes. Cambell' and '1659
Tiptree Estate –only council housing in the area.
farmland of Clay Hall was built over, the house demolished in 1935 -and its grounds preserved as a public park for the new suburb.
Doctor Johnson pub, a surprisingly intact piece of Moderne
Neo-Georgian by H.
Reginald Ross, 1938.Over the entrances,
portraits in relief of the good Doctor by Arthur Betts.Domesticbut
big, the scale one associates with the interwar suburbs, withseparate rooms on four sides of the bar. Snug corner
bar, Decostyle with
exceptionally well-preserved bar fittings in teak withconcealed lighting and illuminated pelmet.
Parkhill Junior and Infants Schools.Aone-off
by a junior member of the Borough Architect's Dept.,D. Edison, c. 1939-40, and a definite break with
conservativeearlier designs.Flat-roofed, Modernist single-storey finger
planfor the junior school
classrooms, designed on the open-airprinciple
with their own entrances to the playing field. Separate Nursery block with big
bow-ended wing.Some recentadditions and replacement of the original hinged,
full-heightglazing on each side
of the classrooms.
St John Vianney RC. Stoneleigh Road.
1966 by Donald Plaskett Marshall. A severe concrete and brick cruciform church.
Reordered 1983 by Austin Winkley of Williams & Winkley,
sheltered housing unit where personal Lifeline alarms were pioneered.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by