Cheam Common

  This post is not finished it is not edited or checked


London Road

St Anthony's Hospital, Anthony Jones of John Laing Design Associates, 1973-5. Extensive low buildings with pitched roofs.  This had been the Lord Nelson coaching inn, which was bought in 1904 by the Daughters of the Cross and turned into a hospital.   A purpose built hospital was added in 1914 and also St.Raphael Hospice.   The whole complex was rebuilt in the 1970s.

Surrey Comet Offices

Granada Cinema. Opened in 1937 and designed by Theodore Komisarjevsky - his last commission for them. Nye was also engaged here by Sidney Bernstein following the suicide of the original architect, James Morrison, after the sidewall of the cinema had been built in the wrong position and condemned by the local fire department. The project was late due to Morrison's death, work proceeded at great speed to meet the deadline for the opening on 22 September 1937. The facade was Morrison's authorship and for the interiors the Russian designer produced rough drawings, which Nye's draughtsmen would then work up for use by the fibrous plaster contractor when making the decorative mouldings. The Granada had some two thousand seats. It had an eight rank Wurlitzer organ, opened by Lloyd Thomas. Demolished in 1969. The Granada Theatre in North Cheam opened on 22nd September 1937 with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in "Shall We Dance?" and Roscoe Karns in "Clarence". The opening was attended by film stars Jesse Matthews and her husband Sonnie Hale. The Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Rank organ was opened by organist Lloyd Thomas. The proscenium was 52 feet wide and the fully equipped stage was 12 feet deep. The cinema had a large cafe located over the entrance and large car park which had a capacity for over 200 cars.

Architect James Morrison designed the Granada, but early into its construction he committed suicide, and the project was taken over David Evelyn Nye. The interior was by Russian designer Theodore Komisarjevsky and was considered the finest example of his 'standard' Granada Theatre's.

The Granada was closed on 18th October 1969 with Omar Sharif in "Mayerling". It was demolished and a Sainsbury's supermarket and offices were built on the site. In July 1995, a pub in the J.D. Wetherspoon chain named The Nonsuch Inn opened at this address.

 

Sainsbury

North Cheam Sports and Social Club previously the London Transport Sports Ground.

Pyl Brook used to go over London Road, not under it

St. Anthony’s Hospital had been built in 1914

Land on the opposite side of London Road, at the Gander Green Lane

junction, had been sold to Brocks Fireworks for a factory. This had been

moved away in the 1930s and the land sold to Gleeson; some housing had

been built and the Gleeson offices replaced Park Farm.

Brock.  Area of Park Farm, which was purchased by C.J.Brock and Co. in 1901 for Crystal Palace Fireworks Ltd.   Area therefore of small buildings connected to a light railway. They moved to Hemel Hempstead in 1930s.

 

Stane Street

Romans - martial law on Scorpio


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town